How can I make XP open only with password

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

XP is not showing me the page to enter my password at log on. I am the administrator and I created a password when installing but XP opens without asking for my password.

Janice, Dec 24, 2019
    jim davis likes this.
  2. Janice

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Janice

Janice

What is the reason for this please?

Janice, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Janice

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 25, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  5. Janice

Janice

I have only the one admin account that I have been using. If I create another account and use that as my everyday account, when I do something that need admin privileges what do I do (while logged in with the non admin account)?

Janice, Dec 28, 2019
  6. Janice

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 29, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  7. Janice

Janice

I have created a new Admin Account.

(1) Does my new admin account contain exactly the same privileges of the old built in Admin account?

(2) Can I copy my Personal Settings to my new admin account from the old built in admin account, or do I have to customize everything all over again in the new one?

Janice, Jan 4, 2020
  8. Janice

Elizabeth23

https://kb.iu.edu/d/aidk

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/w...-i-recover-a-damaged-windows-xp-user-profile/

• Administrator account. The administrator can do everything with the computer and can go anywhere he or she desires—essentially giving that person control over the entire computer, including other accounts. The administrator account can never be disabled or deleted.
    • Standard account. Users with standard accounts can install programs and hardware, change pictures and related personal data, and create, change, or remove passwords.
    • Guest account. A guest account doesn't require a password, can't add or remove programs from the computer, and is disabled by default. This account type is ideal for kids and students.

Elizabeth23, Jan 4, 2020
    Janice likes this.
  9. Janice

jim davis

HEY speedy
    how do you mis use a account ???????
    I just have one admin account that opens,

jim davis, Jan 25, 2020
  10. Janice

Elizabeth23

it is like using a lifeboat as your trash bin, when you come to need the lifeboat it is unable to be used, so the admin account should be kept separate so that should something happen to one of your other accounts (which can also be other admin accounts) you can create a new one from the original admin account and delete the corrupted account. Does this make it clearer? I also used to use the admin account when I first started on computers, (way back when), but once I learned more, then I created a separate account for myself and left the admin account alone, :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 26, 2020
    Janice and jim davis like this.
  11. Janice

jim davis

Great stuff here Elizabeth, I did not know this was a good safety move (should not have had to know if gates had completed the job integrating the rig}

IMPORTANT, for some reason I lost my settings in my admin account for a few days, TO FIX Sorry, I am not sure but I think I did a reset back to a previous date.
    BUT LIZ IS VERY RIGHT, if your admin account gets weird it is not a fun time.
    the only thing that never righted it self was the whole event turned me into a
    Guinea pig and have not been able to change back.

Also .....as should be......... this link shows computer screen in stead of just written instructions which is the best way to explain this stuff, Screen shot instructions are the best hands down always THANKS LIZ

https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/windowsxp/managing-user-accounts/1/

jim davis, Jan 27, 2020
    Janice and Elizabeth23 like this.
Ask a Question