How can I install Xp on a HDD without usb or cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by xSmash788, Mar 13, 2019.

1. xSmash788

xSmash788

So I have an old laptop and the CD drive is broken, windows xp was on it but was having some issues, so I tried updating it to SP3 with USB but problem is when I was going through installation phase it tried reading from disc drive and of course disc drive is broken.

I've seen some tutorials online about installing XP on to a HDD without USB or CD but most of them are just outdated or don't give me the link to the correct files.

can anyone please give me a tutorial or place or whatever on how to install XP without USB or CD?

xSmash788, Mar 13, 2019
  2. xSmash788

Elizabeth23

how did you try to install sp3 from a usb? all you have to do is double click on sp3, which is an update and it will install, whether from a usb or from your desktop.

are you saying that the usb does not work either?

does your bios allow you to boot from usb?

Elizabeth23, Mar 13, 2019
  3. xSmash788

xSmash788

the problem I think was I was being an idiot and thought that you needed to make a bootable drive of the usb, I tried following a tutorial from this guy online but dident realise the bios doesent support usb (probably because it may have ran maybe windows 98 or something which back then they had computers with usb in them but dident support boot up from disk because usb was small at the time) and it was basically reinstalling windows but the bios does not support usb, and it goes to a part where it is basically installing the files in an kinda command prompt enviroment but couldnt find the files (cause it was of course looking for the disk drive which dident work) and so now im stuck.

xSmash788, Mar 13, 2019
  4. xSmash788

xSmash788

I basically got service pack 3 ISO, and used 'iso to usb' which is meant more for booting up, and I guess I should have just pasted it over to the main computer itself

xSmash788, Mar 13, 2019
  5. xSmash788

Elizabeth23

yes , you can copy the sp3 download from a usb to the desktop, the download is 316 MB and can be downloaded from the microsoft update catalog

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp+sp3

you can run checkdisk from the command prompt

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=102348

How to perform checkdisk

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter (notice space between k and c and : and / )

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again

this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your harddrive, the percentages will fluctuate, this is normal, you can view report in the event viewer.

go to start>run> and type in eventvwr.msc, click on the applications directory, and in the right hand panel choose winlogon.
    One of the most important items is to be sure that 0kb are in any bad sectors, you might have to run twice, then when you post next , please tell me what issues you are having with xp

Elizabeth23, Mar 14, 2019
  6. xSmash788

xSmash788

Is this like basically checking the health, performace of the hdd?
    EDIT: how can I change it so it DOES'NT try and repairing my main hard drive? cause I should have said i dident understood what you meant by 'chkdsk c: /r and press enter (notice space between k and c and : and / )' can you put it into a little more detail, sorry im not that kean when it comes to computer equipment, i hope I'm not sounding rude or entitled to you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    xSmash788, Mar 14, 2019
  7. xSmash788

Elizabeth23

https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/

above has clear instructions with pictures on running checkdisk and the various parameters, but you DO want it to repair the drive

Elizabeth23, Mar 14, 2019
Ask a Question