How can I backup the BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

Is there a way to back up my BIOS and revert back to it, in case the BIOS gets corrupted during the update?

Janice, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Janice

Computer semi-expert

Some computers have a system installed that will automatically install the BIOS from a floppy, CD, or USB drive if the BIOS fails. Other than that, there is nothing you can do.

Computer semi-expert, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Janice

cornemuse

Or, gothrough ALL the bios settings & write 'em down on paper!

I have done this on individual items/settings on occasion.

cornemuse, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Janice

ClippyBeer

Which machine? Some manufacturer's websites have different versions of BIOS posted so you can revert to an older version in case the newer one causes problems.

Back in the DOS days I used to have a utility that allowed me to backup the system BIOS but I don't know of any such tool for modern PCs.

ClippyBeer, Sep 27, 2019
  5. Janice

Elizabeth23

on my desktop, pulling the cmos battery for 5 minutes will set bios back to default settings, and my bios also has a button to reset defaults. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 27, 2019
  6. Janice

Janice

Screenshot 1 is the BIOS update available at Asus download center. It says Beta Version. Is this something that I need to worry about? Screenshot 2 is the Asus update utility installed in my computer. Screenshot 3 is the update utility's description in the user manual. The choices shown in shot 3 are self explanatory but there are 2 selections under 'Environment Settings' as shown in shot 2 and I need help with that. What items should I select on this Environment Settings page, before using the utility to update BIOS?

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_5.png

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Janice, Sep 30, 2019
  7. Janice

Elizabeth23

I would not choose any of the options in 2, in 1 a beta version is a testing version, however it explains that it is a fix, I would install it if you plan to use large usb drives

Elizabeth23, Sep 30, 2019
  8. Janice

Janice

I just did an internet search and found that selecting 'BIOS Downgradable' option "allows you to drop down to a previous version of your bios". See the last paragraph of post #3 of this page.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asus-a8v-deluxe-bios-update-problem.336472/

If this is true would it not help me in case the BIOS gets corrupted during the update?

Janice, Oct 1, 2019
  9. Janice

Elizabeth23

I am not sure, I have never had a corrupted bios, pc came with A01, I flash updated to A03 and its been there ever since.

Elizabeth23, Oct 2, 2019
  10. Janice

Computer semi-expert

If your computer has an option to reinstall the BIOS when it is corrupted, yes, the downgrade will help. However, if you are reflashing a corrupted BIOS, I would re-download and reflash the BIOS version that you were originally flashing before you just downgrade. This way, if the corruption was due to something like your computer turning off halfway through the upgrade, you can still get the new version.

Computer semi-expert, Oct 2, 2019
    Janice and Elizabeth23 like this.
  11. Janice

Janice

P5LD2 manual shows many ways of updating and recovering the BIOS, but all of them need a floppy disk and the Mother Board Support CD. I have no floppy disk and I am not sure whether the floppy drive is even working any more. The support CD is also lost. I tried to find it on the internet but failed. So the Update Utility shown above is my only choice.

Screenshot 1 is helpful. 2 is not possible because it needs a floppy disk. 3 is the only possibility to revert to the current BIOS if I get into trouble. 3 requires the support CD which I don't have but Screenshot 3 says the following:

"2. Insert the support CD to the optical drive.
    3. The utility displays the following message and automatically checks the floppy disk for the original or updated BIOS file. When no floppy disk is found, the utility automatically checks the optical drive for the original or updated BIOS file. The utility then updates the corrupted BIOS file"

I am going to save the current BIOS to a blank CD (this facility is found in the update utility - see screenshot 2 in post #6), and insert it to the optical drive (instead of the support CD), and hope the Utility will update the the corrupted BIOS file from the CD. This is where I really need your opinions. Will this work if my BIOS gets corrupted?? I simply want to know what you think of this :)

I need to do this update because, whenever an external hard disk is connected, the computer hangs at 'Post' and I have to force shut down and remove the HDD before I can start the computer - quite a nuisance. This update is a fix for this problem although it says "Beta Version" (screenshot 1 in #6)

My BIOS chip is hard wired to the MB and that is why I need to have a reasonable chance of recovering the current BIOS if it gets corrupted during the update.

Screenshot_6.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_4.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Janice, Oct 2, 2019
  12. Janice

Computer semi-expert

It should work, from what the screenshots save.

Good luck!

Computer semi-expert, Oct 2, 2019
Ask a Question