How can I auto query webpage info to a spreadsheet?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by ImWolf, Jul 19, 2020.

1. ImWolf

ImWolf

Windows XP SP4
    MsOffice XP (and 2010)
    Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7

As a coin collector I would like an automated way to look up prices of various coins for their market value. The spot price is meaningless.

Along the way I discovered that MsExcel allows you to place a "Web Query" into a cell, and set the spreadsheet for auto updating. This way every time the spreadsheet is opened it searches the specified webpage for the updated price and refreshes the spreadsheet information.

Both versions of MsExcel that I had installed use a mini browser based on IE however, and neither will connect to a HTTPS web page. (even IE8 which I still have installed has not connected to anything for a long time now).

I also tried using Apache OpenOffice 4 and the Calc program also will not D/L any information from webpages I have attempted to draw information from.

There are no specific error messages, just very generic popups that say things like "the webpage cannot be displayed", or "this program cannot download the internet data".

I can open the web pages I'm interested in getting information from using FireFox, Basilisk, or Chrome, but not with any of the spreadsheet mini browsers.

If any of you are familiar with this problem and have found a way of fixing the above programs to function as intended, or have discovered a completely different approach instead of using a spreadsheet program, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.....
    Wolf

ImWolf, Jul 19, 2020
  2. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

I think that I may have found what controls this behaviour.

In the Default Programs that I mentioned earlier, in the section Set Associations, there is an entry for Web Query and the extension is .igy which is set on my computer to Excel. If you select this entry then click on Change Program, there is an opportunity to browse for the program that you want.....maybe this will work for you.

above from THIS thread , hope this helps, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 19, 2020
  3. ImWolf

ImWolf

I had read this thread Liz and tried the settings change...... nada.

Thanks just the same :b

I'm thinking that the IE based mini browser built into Excel is as obsolete now as is IE8. This however doesn't explain how a much new spreadsheet program like OpenOffice Calc also fails me.

ImWolf, Jul 19, 2020
  4. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

https://www.excel-university.com/get-transform-an-alternative-to-excels-web-browser/

this is for office 2016, it may work on other versions, most sites I have checked say that the built in web browser (IE) seems to be the only one used.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-query-be4330b3-5356-486c-a168-b68e9e616f5a

lots of info in above, I did not understand all of it, but it may help.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Calc_Guide/Linking_to_external_data

above tutorial for open office does not say anything about only using IE???

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2020
  5. ImWolf

ImWolf

From the information I was presented, MsOffice 2010 is the last release that will run under Windows XP. (if someone here knows this to be false please school me.) So I installed the trial version, but it still uses the same mini browser as my older OfficeXP version. When I discovered the newer version of office was of no help, I uninstalled it. (and no, it did not completely go away!).

I had tried both methods of importing web data with OpenOffice.... I have yet to see any data being downloaded into that program. I don't know what kind of mini browser it uses.

Since the MsOffice 2010 seems to have messed up this system pretty good anyway, perhaps I'll reinstall it and check out if the "Get/Transform" options are included with that release.

I'll let you know.

ImWolf, Jul 20, 2020
  6. ImWolf

ImWolf

I re-installed MsOffice 2010.... the data ribbon does not match the procedure described in that (Office 2016) first link you provided Liz..... I see no "Get/Transform" options.

Also downloaded the PowerQuery add-in..... requires Windows 7 or above.

ImWolf, Jul 20, 2020
  7. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Well, can't say you did not try, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2020
Ask a Question