high cpu usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by lfriii, Mar 21, 2012.

1. lfriii

lfriii

My Dell Latitude D830 laptop has recently had high cpu usage. After initial startup, it runs fine but after opening a few programs, especially internet explorer, it bogs down and shows high cpu usage. Everything grinds to a very slow pace, even if all applications are closed, the cpu usage is very high. If I reboot, the process starts all over again. I have run malware bytes and found no problems. Where do I go from here?

lfriii, Mar 21, 2012
  2. lfriii

lfriii

No this thread has not been solved.

lfriii, Mar 21, 2012
  3. lfriii

addme

You should remove all dell software and scan virus

addme, Aug 16, 2012
  4. lfriii

sureshot

I have more than one system on XP and often i get the same, my security has a performance function that alerts me to performance issues, i find Firefox plug ins etc and similar programs use a large amount of my systems resources, while its not going to harm the PC it can be annoying and slow progress down.

Also my higher spec CPU machines don't do it at all, single core CPU's i have in other machines do, i think software is moving forward fast and unless your CPU and Ram is not of fairly good spec this problem is unavoidable. :)

sureshot, Aug 22, 2012
  5. lfriii

bmorris36

Have you opened the task manager to see what it running or using the cpu up?
    If not then do that, and if its not that then check your internet explorer to see if you have any toolbars running, if so then uninstall them because they take alot of uneccessary cpu for no reason, since you said it happens alot when you open Internet explorer.

bmorris36, Nov 4, 2012
Ask a Question