Help with installing Windows XP? (To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by smartpug967, Sep 29, 2022.

1. smartpug967

smartpug967

I've recently purchased a copy of Windows XP and everything was going well until I got to the 'Welcome to Setup.' page. It doesn't respond to any of my inputs (ENTER key) which means I cannot continue. Any way to fix this?

IMG_5694.jpg
    Photo of where I can't get past

smartpug967, Sep 29, 2022
  2. smartpug967

Elizabeth23

what keyboard are you using? some newer keyboards will not work in POST

Elizabeth23, Sep 29, 2022
  3. smartpug967

smartpug967

I am using a usb keyboard, tried the ‘USB legacy’ thing but I don’t think I have it in my BIOS. Going to try a PS2 keyboard but I don’t have it just yet. If that fails to work, would you have any recommendations?

smartpug967, Sep 29, 2022
  4. smartpug967

Mr Siamese Cat

Get a USB to PS2 adaptor. Any computer shop will sell, or they can be found on ebay for pennies or cents.

You wrote: “It doesn't respond to any of my inputs (ENTER key)”

Did you mean:

It doesn't respond to any of my inputs _ ENTER or R or even F3. I also tried escape.

“If no keys on your keyboard worked then Elizabeth’s answer is the solution.”

If you have a PS2 connector on your keyboard then always use that if you can with a converter for Bios work.

I use Supermicro’s and even on their newer Motherboards they don’t like illuminated keyboards in bios.

I have had to use 2 keyboards connected to one of my machines, because of illumination on one.

Illuminated keyboards tend to draw too much power for a lot of bios’s.

One can never go wrong with a decent Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue for instance) they always work even with a PS2 adapter.

Mr Siamese Cat, Sep 30, 2022
    TMTGTR likes this.
  5. smartpug967

smartpug967

I have tried a USB to PS2 adapter, it did not work. It doesn’t respond to any of my keys, I was highlighting the ENTER key because that’s the one I need. The only keyboard I have is a $5 keyboard from officeworks. I am going to try and find a cheap PS2 keyboard tomorrow

smartpug967, Sep 30, 2022
  6. smartpug967

Elizabeth23

or you might need a usb to ps2 converter :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 30, 2022
  7. smartpug967

cleverscreenname

That's a shame that your BIOS doesn't have USB legacy support. What kind of computer is it?

You can make, or have someone like me make, an XP install CD that's automated, or at least automate the DOS blue screen part of installation. Program is called nLite.

PS2 keyboards are all over eBay nice and cheap, below $20. I turned in several last year to Best Buy for recycling, but I still have probably 6 lying around. I'd be happy to ship one if you covered the shipping cost. They don't die often, haha. I don't think I've ever killed one.

cleverscreenname, Dec 3, 2023
Ask a Question