Help with file sorting organization.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Koenji, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Koenji

Koenji

Hello.

I have some strange issue with the way my files are displayed when i browse for files.

On windows explorer i have my folders organized in alphabetical order with no problem.

But since 2 days ago, when i open/browse for files WITHIN a program (for example Word) the files are organized by "last time modified" by default.

Is there a way to return to the original configuration? I have no clue why it suddenly changed either.

Things i've tried: Triple checked to see if the "Remember each folder's view setting" box was ticked" under folder options.

I'm using Service Pack 3 if that's of any help.

Thanks in advance!!

Koenji, Feb 6, 2016
  2. Koenji

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Koenji

Koenji

Thanks! But most of those solutions are for the file organization of windows explorer. Mine are fine there. I'ts just when browsing WITHIN a program (such as Word) that files change the organization to "last time modified".

Koenji, Feb 6, 2016
  4. Koenji

Koenji

Found the solution. If by any reason your files just won't stay organized while browsing WITHIN a program, what you have to do is this: Open windows explorer, adjust the settings to your preference (such as view style and alphabetical order). Once you are satisfied go to Tools, then Folder Options, then View and click on Apply to all folders. Click on Yes, then Apply and thats about it. Re-open any program and browse files there to confirm the changes. I still have no idea how it got switched in the first place though... And It seems it doesn't matter if you have the "Remember each folder's view setting" enabled, you have re-do this process if it happens.

Koenji, Feb 6, 2016
  5. Koenji

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 6, 2016
  6. Koenji

Elizabeth23

reply #2:

http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28439

read through the thread above, it is more to the issue, I got this from the word forum:

(called wordbanter) below is the search page for within this forum:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...=0ahUKEwi_1tun1-LKAhUI5SYKHbQKBNoQrQIIJigCMAA

===============

I checked my word 2003 to see what mine would list as and they are all alphabetical, knock on wood that this does not change, I had never used open under the file menu, I just always went to my documents and opened the documents I wanted and if I use them alot, I just have them pinned to the start menu.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Feb 6, 2016
Ask a Question