HELP major exe crisis!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by lizlw, Sep 13, 2015.

1. lizlw

lizlw

Hi all, I have recently tried to install an exe program. I kept getting told that the download was blocked by Microsoft. I went through several help forums and tried everything that was suggested to me to fix the issue. None of them fixed it. Now I have lost a lot of my usage on the pc. All of my desktop icons are faded and non responsive. My AVG has also been compromised. I have limited access to my control panel, even my calculator etc has become non responsive. I have no anti virus working as I have tried to reinstall it and it just says exe download blocked. I am worried about losing things off my computer. I am also worried about viruses. Someone please put this computer technical novice at ease.

lizlw, Sep 13, 2015
  2. lizlw

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hmm,

What is the name program, the .exe file, as much information as you can give please.

At this stage treat your XP install as severely compromised.

Can you boot/start it into safe mode. If this is possible copy all precious files, word pro, pics, music, mp3's etc to a USB stick or number of sticks.

I would not consider it safe to copy any programs, just files like the above.

Do you have your original XP install CD. Possibly you may have to do a clean re-install and build your system up again.

Important, even though it is not likely, treat any files you have managed to copy to USB's as "virused". After a clean install of XP install the best anti-virus suite you can and scan everything that is to be copied to you PC.

Also, it seems you have access to another PC, see if you can find through a search engine (Google or similar) a stand alone anti-virus program to run on your damaged XP setup before trying a clean install of XP. Might work, might not.

I am sure that other forum members will have better ideas than mine.

Hang in there, we have all had disasters like this.

Cheers,

Mark. (Aunty Jack).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Aunty Jack, Sep 14, 2015
  3. lizlw

lizlw

Thanks for help.

Thanks for the help, sorry I have taken an age to respond, work has been manic. The program i originally tried to download was fitbit.com/setup. It was blocked by windows... Once i had done that the forums told me to try all different things to remedy the blocked download. Whilst doing that I twiddled with settings in the file configuration areas.....it is since then that i can no longer use any exe program. I am still using the same pc, as chrome is working fine.

I have no way of using most of the things on my pc that i rely on. can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

thanks Liz

lizlw, Sep 18, 2015
  4. lizlw

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 19, 2015
Ask a Question