HELP!! I'm Getting Errors Trying to Backup XP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by koolx, Oct 23, 2014.

1. koolx

koolx

I'm using Macrium Reflect to make a clone of my XP. But, I get an error ID: 0x8004230f. This error has something to do with Volume Shadow Copy, which is enabled. In Event Viewer, I get this error:

Event 12292
    Source VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

I also get error 1060, which is. "The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

Please someone help.. I want to backup XP very badly!!!

koolx, Oct 23, 2014
  2. koolx

Elizabeth23

both above from here

==

make sure services are started/automatic

Elizabeth23, Oct 24, 2014
  3. koolx

koolx

Hi, Liz. I read the links. It still doesn't work. Is there a way to delete and then recreate Volume Shadow Service? Is it possible to fix this through Recovery Console?

koolx, Oct 25, 2014
  4. koolx

Jojo

After the initial backup, I haven't backed up XP again, preferring to back up files instead.

However, I did find this: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50228.aspx

If I may, can I ask you if the VSS service is turned off?

I ask because I have mine turned off to save resources.

If you're not sure, click Control Panel, Administrative Tools Services then scroll down to check Volume Shadow Copy. It should be Manual by default.

Jojo, Oct 25, 2014
  5. koolx

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 25, 2014
  6. koolx

koolx

Hi Jojo... Thanks for the reply. I have it turned on.

koolx, Oct 25, 2014
  7. koolx

koolx

Hi, Liz. This is what I did. I downloaded a program called XXCopy and it cloned my hard drive to another hard drive and it didn't need VSS to be turned on.

I'm very happy with the results except for 2 minor things. 1st, when I bootup the cloned hard drive, I get an O/S Option Menu which gives me an option as to which O/S I want to bootup to. This makes no sense since I only have one O/S. 2nd, when I tried to uninstall a program, it couldn't find the uninstall file for it. This was weird.

I also noticed that the clone runs boots up and runs much faster than the source hard drive. Maybe it's because in cloning the hard drice, it had to ignore backing up certain files, maybe?

koolx, Oct 25, 2014
  8. koolx

koolx

Sorry, I meant that I used XXClone, not XCopy.. Sorry for the confusion.

koolx, Oct 25, 2014
  9. koolx

Elizabeth23

properly cloned will not skip any files.

an incremental backup will skip unmodified files

as to the two boot options , are they both xp?? did you backup twice with full clone to the same disk??

Elizabeth23, Oct 26, 2014
  10. koolx

koolx

Hi Liz.. I didn't say I had 2 boot options. I said that I get an option to boot from a list of O/S's. The option shows a list. Each line in the list says XP and its variant. There's like 10 of these variants. But I only cloned 1 O/S. It could be a normal consequence of the program. But, it's annoying as hell. I don't know why they included this instead of allowing the user to boot directly into the desktop.

Also, I'm thinking about using XP's Xcopy this time. Which program do yoyu think is better in cloning a hard drive to another? Xcopy or XXClone?

And, in Xcopy, there are added commands to extend the use of the program (below). My question is, if I omit '/e' (Copies any subfolder, even if it is empty.), will I run into problems? Doesn't that command contradict command '/s'?

/s Copies folders and subfolders except empty ones.
    /e Copies any subfolder, even if it is empty.

koolx, Oct 27, 2014
  11. koolx

Elizabeth23

http://download.cnet.com/XXClone/3640-2242_4-10641598.html

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/re-xcopy-sometimes-fails-t4056718.html

read reviews at above links, it seems that xcopy was better for pre xp and xclone for xp, but that incrementals are only with a paid copy.

==========

okay, what are the variants? in other words give me the exact listings, and also what happens when you try to boot to one of these listings?? let me know what each one does.

I have not used xxclone or xcopy or macrium . I tried macrium one time but it would not boot as a separate drive.

Since you are not doing incrementals, how many times have you cloned your drive??

each listing may be for each separate clone??

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2014
  12. koolx

koolx

Hey Liz.. Here's what I did.. as to the cloned hard drvie, I went into boot.ini and deleted all the "variant" O/S options. Simple as that!. Now, only the main O/S boots up without going through that O/S Menu Options list. Thanks for your help anyway Liz. I know that cloning and backing up one's system is not as easy as one might think, unfortunately.

koolx, Oct 28, 2014
  13. koolx

Elizabeth23

glad you worked that out, and thanks for the update. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2014
Ask a Question