HDMI Switches

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by priscus, Jun 30, 2019.

1. priscus

priscus

Have three HDMI TVs (lounge/study/bedroom), and some HDMI monitors used with computers. Also have variety of devices which are sources of HDMI signal. (PC/PVR/Bluray/DVD etc).

So I have tried using HDMI switches so I can select from these devices content for a particular screen. I have a number of HDMI switches, different types, different manufacturers.

All of them seem to get unreliable after about 12 months in use. They start losing HDMI signal, and then executing a reset, to resume picture after about 30 seconds, only to repeat the cut out after a varying interval (between 1 and 10 minutes)

This is not the HDMI connector needing re-seating. That does happen and cause such, but this is over and above any such problem.

Is this a recognised problem?

Anyone heard of it happening?

Anybody able to suggest a make of HDMI switch known to perform without encountering this issue?

priscus, Jun 30, 2019
  2. priscus

Elizabeth23

3. priscus

cornemuse

Is it a 'powered' (5v?) switch? I had troubles with one i bought. Now, its, somewhere. Had a '3 way' sw powered from hdmi cable. Same as 'above'. Got a cheap one, '2 in, 1 output' and reverse, 1 in, 2 outputs. hdmi powered. (Frys, $9.99 on sale promo code) Works flawlessly.

https://www.frys.com/product/9451121

cornemuse, Jun 30, 2019
  4. priscus

priscus

The ones I currently use (have thrown some in trash) are powered from PSU which plugs into wall socket (mains), but they still power up from the HDMI cable if it is not connected. They do work fine, just not for very long!

I recognise the problem being a 'handshake' failure cutting out the transmission. I do not know why it should do so on systems hitherto fully functioning.

Would be quite prepared to replace them, and even considered some costly alternative devices, but reading customer feedback on Amazon gives me no confidence that they will perform any better.

priscus, Jul 15, 2019
Ask a Question