HDMI port not seen after reinstalling OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by mark99k, Aug 13, 2016.

1. mark99k

mark99k

Hello benevolent rescuers. Our old Dell Inspiron 1010 runs Win XP Home SP3 (but isn't on the Internet). It's had an uneventful life, used mainly for simple classroom demos. We want to use it to play video files (offline) on an HDTV. Did a full reinstall.

After the reinstall, the HDMI port wasn't recognized (yellow '?' in Device Mgr). I saw the obviously-labeled driver in C:\Dell\Drivers and installed it, but the PC still doesn't see the HDMI port even though when I connect or disconnect the cable, it makes the usual 'blurp' sound indicating it noticed. (That's new since the reinstall; it was quiet before.) Currently in Device Mgr the only yellow '?' is on 'Other devices' which expands to 'Unknown device.' Drivers are totally not my forte.

We tested the TV and cable with another laptop and it worked fine so they're not the problem.

Any ideas? Seriously grateful for any clues.

Mark

mark99k, Aug 13, 2016
  2. mark99k

Elizabeth23

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19409494

helpful info at the above site on reinstalling drivers on a dell, there is a certain order to install if you wish the drivers to install correctly, the above thread also deals with finding drivers and there is a link on installing drivers on a dell properly.

at the below dell site are the drivers for your inspiron, what was the driver that you said you installed?? Details please

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-mini10/drivers

inputting your service tag at the above site will get drivers more specific to your pc.

Elizabeth23, Aug 13, 2016
Ask a Question