Have mutiple svchost.exe showing after re-install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by WindowsCP, Jan 8, 2021.

1. WindowsCP

WindowsCP

Some years ago after reinstalling Windows XP. [I believe I even did a quick format] I re-installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. When the prompts came through I even used the same Computer name & likely account name. [This was after I'd formatted the HD] I wanted everything to be familiar so. After updates installed etc from the streamlined ISO. It restarted & my CPU was at 100% and very slow. I went through and found too many instances of Svchost.exe were running. I went to ALL pains to fix this to no avail.
    *Then a post on Microsoft caught my attention & I wasn't confident this was going to fix it. It suggests to change the name of My Computer & I believe Account to something different to as I'd used in prior install. I was very reluctant and tried it anyways. I'd did a full format and it wasn't likely the issue. Next thing I know after changing the name. My CPU went to normal and Svchost.exe instances went to normal.
    So basically if you're reinstalling your XP. Even though you formatted to HD. Keeping in mind using prior account/computer name. Will cause the OS to run many instances under the sub-account via Svchost.exe

WindowsCP, Jan 8, 2021
  2. WindowsCP

Elizabeth23

I have reinstalled many times, I do it the same way every time, with the same install disk, my name does not change, and I have not ever had an issue of too many .svchost errors

Elizabeth23, Jan 8, 2021
    secpar likes this.
  3. WindowsCP

WindowsCP

It's happened to me. This could of been SP1a or SP2. I always remember SP3. I could be wrong on it's SP. The Engine shop had the same issue. Perhaps this was an upgrade? Either way though. It's a cause of mutiple Svchost.exe What the parameters are is anybody's guess.

WindowsCP, Jan 10, 2021
  4. WindowsCP

Elizabeth23

go to start/ right click My Computer/ choose Properties, the general tab will tell you what service pack is installed

Elizabeth23, Jan 10, 2021
  5. WindowsCP

thinkpadder

Having svchost.exe 's is not something related to reinstalling. they are present in a fresh installation too. On my Windows XP Pro installation, there are 9 of them, each performing some necessaary OS task.

thinkpadder, Jan 24, 2021
  6. WindowsCP

cornemuse

Never had this issue either, , , ,

cornemuse, Jan 24, 2021
  7. WindowsCP

Hunter2021

One time my CPU was always at 100% until I used cmd to split svchost processes. Google high CPU usage and svchost for more details.

Hunter2021, Feb 3, 2021
Ask a Question