Has anyone tried out the new Centaury rendition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Dec 15, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

trimis, Dec 15, 2020
  2. trimis

thinkpadder

Can't tell anything definite but looking at the releases page I see only installer exe's and no portable zip or tar files and though it's a detail tiny, that's not so good because it possibly installs some system wide profile files or anything else. I'd like to be able to confine it all into a folder of my liking and run there, just for the try and that happens best when there are the portable zip / tar files.

Compare it to the Iceape-UXP-52.9 32bit or the Basilisk Serpent 32bit (Palemoon fork) they have both installer exe's and portable zip files.

thinkpadder, Dec 16, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

ClippyBeer

You have the option of choosing portable mode when you run the installer. I just download the latest version (0.14.0) and ran the installer which still has the portable option.

[​IMG]

ClippyBeer, Dec 16, 2020
    thinkpadder likes this.
  4. trimis

cornemuse

Hmh, I use 52.9 and it rarely crashes on me very rarely. But I use the portable version. It is completely self contained.

ffport.jpg

All data includes bookmarks addons etc etc. with a few sites passwords are not remembered.
    I have taken an hdd that for whatever reason would not boot, connected it via usb (& esata!), go to the FFportable 52.9 folder on the now E F G whatever letter gets assigned, click on the executable, NOT the shortcut, and away we go! When everything is working fine, save those two folders somewhere safe. If the FFportable gets corrupted, reinstall FF529port,& just over-write those two 'good' folders to the new install. Running it via usb (thumb drive or hbb) tends to be slower. I have ranted about this in the past here, does anybody use or or tried the portable version? You really should try it, it has NO effect on a regularly installed FF version (all the registry/douments & settings, portable does not do that).

End of rant

cornemuse, Dec 16, 2020
    trimis and Elizabeth23 like this.
  5. trimis

trimis

Can you point me to the Basilisk exe? I gave up on 7Zip, and uninstalled it (again and for good). I got it to work once long ago, then never again, so zip files are now off the table.

trimis, Dec 23, 2020
  6. trimis

thinkpadder

It looks like there's no official .exe for the Basilisk; but only the zip files:
    https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Basilisk/releases
    Then there I must have written the "exe" redundantly.
    FYI, I use exlusively the zip version of Basilisk on my both XP and 7 (64bit) laptops. The one and only drawback is the updating it with the profile data (bookmarks, settings, etc) because the profile data is kept inside the unzipped folder.

thinkpadder, Dec 24, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  7. trimis

trimis

Too bad, but there is a Basilisk for Win 7:
    https://www.basilisk-browser.org/requirements.shtml
    ...so I'll eventually have it. I envy your ability to turn the accursed zip file to an exe!

trimis, Dec 24, 2020
  8. trimis

thinkpadder

Yep, there is even an 64bit version of Basilisk for Windows 7 and I use it too. As for the 32bit Basilisk exe for the Windows XP, let there be no misunderstanding: By the zip file I mean any one of the compressed file formats and in the case of Basilisk it is a 7z file like the one below: You just click on it and extract all of its contents into a folder of your liking and there under it contains the basilisk.exe too. That's how I do it.
    If you 're asking for where I got that 7z file here you are:
    https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2020/09/weekly-browser-binaries-20200919.html
    It is the file:
    basilisk55-win32-git-20200919-a4291d5cc-xpmod.7z

Attached Files:

thinkpadder, Dec 25, 2020
  9. trimis

trimis

As said, I have given up on anything not a exe file, which XP can well handle on its own. Over the last few years I have downloaded (and deleted) 7Zip many times. Only once did I manage to get it to do what it is supposed to do. All other attempts before and since failed. I'm through fussing with it. I consider it a lost cause, so if I ever need to install a 7z file, it will go on the 'to-do list' of the computer tech...which is doubtful, as I have developed a dislike for anything not an exe to the extent that if I find an app only in 7z form, I immediately search for an alternative app.

trimis, Dec 27, 2020
  10. trimis

cornemuse

I am just curious, 2 of youalls 'liked' my above post, question: has anybody else actually tried FF portable?

cornemuse, Dec 27, 2020
  11. trimis

Elizabeth23

I did try once, but I like things installed, :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 28, 2020
  12. trimis

cornemuse

Installed?

cornemuse, Dec 28, 2020
  13. trimis

Elizabeth23

in other words I install my browsers versus portable usage, :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 28, 2020
  14. trimis

cornemuse

OK, , , , ,

cornemuse, Dec 29, 2020
Ask a Question