Hardware update wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by J-P, Feb 24, 2019.

1. J-P

J-P

Hi , I ran into a problem while trying to install a new driver . I open device manager click to update driver , check the install from specific location but the wizard let's me only browse D./ ( disc ) . Can I change The D./ to C./ ? it is giving me a bit of a headache right now because I have the drivers only on the C./ drive so no disc . Thanks if anyone can guide me through this or has a solution .
    J-P

J-P, Feb 24, 2019
  2. J-P

Elizabeth23

not sure why that is happening, I can open and browse through c:

what steps did you follow exactly , please.?

Elizabeth23, Feb 24, 2019
  3. J-P

J-P

Hi , That's the point . I didn't do anything . The wizard only shows D./ . When I click browse I can point out where my file is stored ( C./ ) but when I click it the OK button turns grey meaning not available

J-P, Feb 24, 2019
  4. J-P

Elizabeth23

The folder has to contain a .inf file which is used by the installer to configure the driver installation. Otherwise the OK button stays grey.

Does your folder have a .inf? If not then maybe what you downloaded is an application to install the driver or perhaps a compressed file which has to be decompressed into a folder first.

Elizabeth23, Feb 25, 2019
  5. J-P

J-P

Thank you for the reply , You could be right . I appreciate that you think along . I will check this in the morning because it is 10PM where I am .

J-P, Feb 25, 2019
  6. J-P

Elizabeth23

okay, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 25, 2019
  7. J-P

Lockherup

It should show allavailable disks that windows sees because at this point it doesn't even know if there is a inf file on that disk. Just change manually to C:\ or setup a fake drive for D:\ by using a usb stick

Lockherup, Mar 14, 2019
Ask a Question