Hardware Policies - which is the better choice

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Janice, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Janice

Janice

I use my external HDD mainly for saving System Images and other types of backups. Attached is the image of the window of this Disk Properties>Hardware>Properties>Policies. Which of the 2 choices do you recommend?

sea gate.png

Janice, Oct 22, 2019
  2. Janice

cornemuse

I myself go with 'optimize for performance'. Too simple to 'click' on the 'Safely remove hardware' arrow.

cornemuse, Oct 22, 2019
  3. Janice

Elizabeth23

me two, I always optimize for performance as this lets me format in ntfs also, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 22, 2019
  4. Janice

Janice

I also would like to select 'optimize for performance' but when I do, it is very hard to stop the drive and eject, to unplug it. Almost always I get the message to 'try later because the drive cannot be stopped'. This goes on for hours, and I am reluctant to leave the HDD connected when I am not using it because it has all my backups. I am worried about corrupting or garbling my backups inadvertently. I will certainly choose 'optimize for performance' if there is some way to unplug the drive when I am no longer using it.

Janice, Oct 23, 2019
  5. Janice

Elizabeth23

when I get that message is only after I have moved/copied a large mass of data, to clear one that does not want to be cleared after a couple of hours, I just shut down, remove the drive and start up again. :) it is 50/50 really, I mostly use it so I can format in ntfs. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 24, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  6. Janice

Janice

My Drive is already formatted NTFS and I don't see the need to do it again. If I do it, all data will be lost anyway. So I am unable to understand why you have to be able to format your drive from time to time. I just like to know :)

How does 'write caching' improve the performance of my disk? The speed of copying, reliability or what other benefit?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Janice, Oct 24, 2019
  7. Janice

Elizabeth23

write cache seems to make the ability to eject the drive easier sometimes, other than that for all my research I cannot figure out if it is good or bad.

I do wipe my data drives every now and then and replace the data. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 25, 2019
    Janice likes this.
Ask a Question