graphics card

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by lastofthetimelords, Nov 6, 2013.

1. lastofthetimelords

lastofthetimelords

Hi guys, newbie so be gentle with me, it's my first time :) have a old hp pavilion a115 uk running xp home service pack 3, my son who has autism uses it, he has loads of older games and software that runs on xp, I got him a new system running win 7 and none of his software would work, I upgraded to ultimate win 7 to use the virtual win xp, and though the old software works, it, s very slow, I am doing all in my power to keep system running xp alive, thinking that giving dedicated graphics will free up RAM memory, but not sure were to start, the hp has a AGP Port and is currently using on board graphics.
    any suggestions gratefully accepted
    thanx
    LOTTL

lastofthetimelords, Nov 6, 2013
  2. lastofthetimelords

tinmar49

If your W7 is 64 bit, you may be able to change the Win 7 to 32 bit which would be better able to run programs which run on XP. If you have the W7 product key, you may be able to download a 32 bit ISO and start afresh.

tinmar49, Nov 17, 2013
  3. lastofthetimelords

tinmar49

Ive just looked at the HP Pavilion 115 specs and it would better to retire it now. One relatively easy way of keeping your modern pc running W7 and XP without any conflicts, assuming there is a spare 5.25 bay is to fit a hdd caddy and take out the hdd with W7 and fit it in the caddy. The pc will run W7 exactly as before and you can get another hdd and run XP, simply by swapping hdd's when the pc is turned off. Hdd storage cases are cheap and careful handling will not damage a hard drive. Novatech sells an inexpensive caddy code NOV-HDDMR WHICH IS £12.98. Add a sata cable and a small hdd for about £45 and a new XPsp3 for less than £24. You then have a modern pc which also runs an old operating system without any danger of malware causing problems if the ethernet drivers are disabled in XP's device manager.

tinmar49, Nov 17, 2013
Ask a Question