Graphic card resolution

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by AM7, Jan 19, 2023.

1. AM7

AM7

I have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphic card.
    Look at the specs in the link.
    Why is the maximum VGA resolution higher than the maximum DVI resolution?

Nvidia tech support was useless in providing an answer and I can't find an answer eleswhere.
    https://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-NVIDIA/GeForce_FX_5200.html

Need a new LCD LED monitor and I'm wondering if the maximum DVI resolution is enough with the GeForce FX 5200?

AM7, Jan 19, 2023
  2. AM7

tekkaman

I don't know why the VGA resolution is higher. Maybe it's because VGA was more mainstream. I have a monitor set to 1440 x 900 and it looks fine at that resolution. The highest resolution this monitor supports 1680 x 1050. But the higher the resolution the tinier it looks. So I prefer to set it a lower resolution instead of setting a higher dpi.

tekkaman, Jan 19, 2023
  3. AM7

Mike_Walsh

I suspect that the quoted VGA resolution is the highest possible under that standard.

If you search that site for my own Nvidia GeForce GT 710, you'll see that the quoted VGA output is exactly the same as your FX-5200. In this case, however, the quoted "digital" outputs (including DVI) are far higher.

I guess the discrepancies are down to the state of GPU development & relevant standards at the time your card was originally released.....2003. GPUs were still somewhat primitive in those days, compared to the behemoths they've currently morphed into. Even the GT 710 - 9 years 'younger' than yours at release in 2012 - is still pretty basic compared to something like an RTX 4090, although it more than handles everything I use it for. In my case, that's video-editing.....I'm NO 'gamer'.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Jan 23, 2023
Ask a Question