GPU passthrough

When doing GPU passthrough, does the guest OS need its own drivers for the GPU, or are the host machine's drivers used? I need to know what the chances are that I'll be able to use XP for gaming after it becomes impossible to find graphics cards for which XP drivers exist.

When doing GPU passthrough, does the guest OS need its own drivers for the GPU, or are the host machine's drivers used? I need to know what the chances are that I'll be able to use XP for gaming after it becomes impossible to find graphics cards for which XP drivers exist.
If you're emulating XP on with VirtualBox or VMware,etc they usually come with their own Guest Additions. You cannot install your host's drivers on a emulated Guest OS. Gaming on a VM isn't the best solution, though. NVidia GTX 980 is the last to support XP :)

If you're emulating XP on with VirtualBox or VMware,etc they usually come with their own Guest Additions.

Thanks for the tip. I just tried that and although I got access to some new widescreen resolutions, it's still not emulating a DirectX 8-compatible graphics card.

You cannot install your host's drivers on a emulated Guest OS.

That's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about using the host's drivers on the host machine. With GPU passthrough, does the GM tell the HM "hey I need this graphics work done", and then the HM does it, and passes the result back to the GM? Or will the guest OS try to use the GPU directly with its own drivers?

Basically, if I have a game that will only work on XP and earlier (like Doom 3), and a graphics card for which XP drivers don't exist (like a Geforce 1030), can I use a virtual machine to get them to play nice? Or am I stuck taking my chances with WINE?

Gaming on a VM isn't the best solution, though.

It might become the only solution as XP-compatible graphics cards become harder to find and ReactOS continues to stall in development.

Back