GPU passthrough

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Katie Boundary, May 28, 2019.

1. Katie Boundary

Katie Boundary

When doing GPU passthrough, does the guest OS need its own drivers for the GPU, or are the host machine's drivers used? I need to know what the chances are that I'll be able to use XP for gaming after it becomes impossible to find graphics cards for which XP drivers exist.

Katie Boundary, May 28, 2019
  2. Katie Boundary

WindowsXPforever

If you're emulating XP on with VirtualBox or VMware,etc they usually come with their own Guest Additions. You cannot install your host's drivers on a emulated Guest OS. Gaming on a VM isn't the best solution, though. NVidia GTX 980 is the last to support XP :)

WindowsXPforever, May 28, 2019
  3. Katie Boundary

Katie Boundary

Thanks for the tip. I just tried that and although I got access to some new widescreen resolutions, it's still not emulating a DirectX 8-compatible graphics card.

That's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about using the host's drivers on the host machine. With GPU passthrough, does the GM tell the HM "hey I need this graphics work done", and then the HM does it, and passes the result back to the GM? Or will the guest OS try to use the GPU directly with its own drivers?

Basically, if I have a game that will only work on XP and earlier (like Doom 3), and a graphics card for which XP drivers don't exist (like a Geforce 1030), can I use a virtual machine to get them to play nice? Or am I stuck taking my chances with WINE?

It might become the only solution as XP-compatible graphics cards become harder to find and ReactOS continues to stall in development.

Katie Boundary, May 29, 2019
Ask a Question