Got an SSD for Windows XP but it doesn’t show up in xp except for the disk Management

So I formatted the ssd on Windows 10 and it shows up there fine but when it’s on xp there’s nothing except the disk Management. I can’t add new letters or paths on it.

Yeah that probably won't work. I believe Windows 10 does something differently when partitioning and formatting (even if you tell it to format as MBR, which XP requires).

I would completely erase the drive, then initialize, partition, and format with XP.

Acronis True Image or Hard Disk Sentinel have drive erase tools (fastest method is ok). If you don't have those, there are other wiping utilities- google for them (someone chime in with alternates).

Yeah that probably won't work. I believe Windows 10 does something differently when partitioning and formatting (even if you tell it to format as MBR, which XP requires).

I would completely erase the drive, then initialize, partition, and format with XP.

Acronis True Image or Hard Disk Sentinel have drive erase tools (fastest method is ok). If you don't have those, there are other wiping utilities- google for them (someone chime in with alternates).
Oh man that worked like a charm now I gotta get another ssd for my desktop pc

Agree with Computer semi-expert about defragging.

Modern SSDs are usually kitted-out with the 'trim' function, which basically keeps everything tidy, ship-shape, clean & organised.....essentially, 'rubbish collection'. If, however, you're running an older machine which only has PATA/IDE connectors (no SATA), this 'trim' function is usually unavailable.

In such case, the best way around this is to leave approximately 10-12% of the total storage space un-formatted. Reason? Because, bearing in mind the way that an SSD's functionality and method of operation differs from a HDD, this gives the controller room to juggle 'blocks' around as they're rotated out of service, erased, and marked as ready for re-use by the system.

I understand there is a way to allow the use of SSDs in XP; I believe the easiest way is (having obtained the right 'system' type of drivers) to 'slipstream' these into a new installation disc. But don't quote me on this; it's not something I've ever really bothered with attempting, since the afore-mentioned method of formatting an SSD worked for me when I ran XP on an elderly Dell laptop to which I'd fitted a 64GB Transcend PATA model.....to replace the quite miniscule original HDD, of only 20 GB.

Mike. ;)

Back