Google Chrome restarts computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Rudy Lewis, May 21, 2020.

1. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

I am running XP and have reinstalled Chrome; however, once again I suddenly see the blue screen of death and my computer reboots. This happens occasionally and is very frustrating. I have only added the New Tab add-on from the Google add-on site. It happened recently when I was cleaning up my bookmarks. I have searched the internet, and apparently this happens with all Windows OS, so it is obviously caused by a Chrome bug. Does Google intend to fix this issue? Is there a link to Google support to submit my complaint? If there is, then Google is not going to fix this issue because Google has not bothered to fix it before today. However, has anyone found a fix, possibly related to XP?
    Thanks,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, May 21, 2020
  2. Rudy Lewis

WindowsXP-User

The same issue was happening with my uncle's old Windows 7 or XP computer

WindowsXP-User, May 21, 2020
  3. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

google chrome is NOT compatible with xp

Elizabeth23, May 21, 2020
  4. Rudy Lewis

flavallee Guest

Elizabeth is correct.
    Google Chrome stopped supporting Windows XP a long time ago.

flavallee, May 21, 2020
  5. Rudy Lewis

lmemsm

Was seeing something very similar with Firefox. Try running a different version of the browser that still supports the operating system. You can check portableapps.com for downloads. If that doesn't work, try running it in a sandbox so it doesn't crash the rest of the system. I saw sandboxie mentioned on a couple of forums.

lmemsm, May 21, 2020
  6. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Well, well, well. I did not think I had to give my history regarding Chrome. For all you... oh well, I guess I won't tell you what you are... Anyway and however, Google Chrome IS compatible with XP. I have been using both for quite a few years, and I am using them together. To do that, you must perform due diligence and research the possibility of such an action. For those of you who are obviously not so technical minded, XP will support an earlier version of Chrome. There will not be any upgrades available; however, you can choose not to receive updates under Chrome settings and you will not be bothered with Chrome's attempt to update then informing you that you must update your OS. I am not going to ask, I am telling you: research your answers; if you do not, then you you are just proving what a fool you are because you will inevitably make a false statement. And another item, stay focused. Reply to the question; people are not interested if you state the same issue but do not give a solution. To reiterate, I wanted to know if anyone has a solution to why Chrome occasionally restarts my computer. Telling me Chrome is not compatible with XP is a foolish thing to say because I am using Chrome and XP together (as I stated in the beginning of my post). Unfortunately, Liz is the only person who has responded to my previous questions with intelligent answers, although I am disappointed she gave a false statement this time. As a result, I am forced to repeat/reword my question: Does anyone know of a way to stop Chrome from restarting a computer using XP? Please do not reply with anything except a solution unless it is to tell me you have thoroughly researched to find an answer, but were unable to find one. This will confirm what I have found and I will just have to growl and bear it. Please do not suggest updating either XP or Chrome. What I am using compliments each other as much as possible. However, if someone is willing to buy a new update to my OS, I would happily accept since I can not afford to do so myself.
    Thanks,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, May 21, 2020
  7. Rudy Lewis

Computer semi-expert

@Rudy Lewis: I believe what @Elizabeth23 meant was that current versions of Google Chrome are not compatible with Windows XP (like @flavallee mentioned). With that in mind, let's look at your original question again:

Absolutely not. Why fix a problem with an old browser on an old operating system that most people don't use?

But, there is hope. Your problem may yet be fixable!

What is the exact version of Chrome that you are using? Also, could you post the exact stop code that the BSOD gives? Have you noticed any pattern at all to the restarts? Have you scanned your hard drive for viruses recently? Have you run "chkdsk" on your hard drive? (@Elizabeth23 will be more than happy to tell you how and why to run chkdsk.)

Computer semi-expert, May 21, 2020
  8. Rudy Lewis

flavallee Guest

Many apps and browsers are compatible with Windows XP, if you want to use very old and outdated versions.
    If you want to use current versions, many of them are no longer compatible with Windows XP.
    Google Chrome is one of them.

flavallee, May 21, 2020
  9. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

are there any errors in event viewer at the time of the restart issues?

Elizabeth23, May 21, 2020
  10. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Yes, I already know all of this. I was being facetious (or perhaps spouting rhetoric) when I wrote "Does Google intend to fix this issue?" Of course they will not. Again, I mentioned I found users with other Windows OS with the same problem, specifically Windows 10. If my post was completely read, this would have prevented any thoughts of being a problem just because I am using XP with an older version of Chrome. After all, this forum is entitled Windows XP Forums. However, to answer the questions: yes, I ran chkdsk, my virus program, Disk Cleanup, and my defrag program. I have done this three times in the last week, and I run my cleanup (which includes the aforementioned programs) at least once a week. And no, there were not any errors pertaining to Google or Chrome in the event viewer. Unfortunately, the Blue Screen of Death happened immediately after Chrome shut down and lasted about 1 second before my system rebooted. It happened so fast, I could not react in time to try to pause the screen (or perhaps my startled reaction prevented me from thinking as fast as I used to). I am using Chrome version 49.0.2623.112, which is the latest version which works with XP. If you visit the Chrome website, you will find this information if you search for it. Believe me, I tried different versions of Chrome until I finally found the information I needed. Chrome will only occasionally restart my computer, maybe once every several months, and not the same amount time between restarts. I have found no common denominator for each occurrence; it will restart with as little as 5 tabs open or as many as 12. I clear Chrome's cache every week, but even if I do not, Chrome will still restart my computer. I am going to start writing down the dates of the restarts along with notes which I did not do before because it happens so infrequently. Just a side note, I am 63 years old (64 on the 24th of May), and my first computer was a Commodore 64. I of course was not satisfied with it's limitations, and my dad bought me an IBM clone. He paid MTI (not MIT) for a 15 month course of study in programming, and it was off to races I went. I have not been away from my computer since. I began with DOS 3.0 and have stopped at XP. I worked as a computer operator for 24 years, so I consider myself to be accomplished enough to solve the majority of my issues, and for the most part, request help when no answers are available. I was positive someone had found a solution to Google's bug during all this time, because it (the problem) has apparently been around for quite a while. It does not appear to be going away any time soon, and as I mentioned, seems to show indifference to any and all Windows OS. And by the way, I apologize for my earlier post; I become testy and unreasonable when I have a problem which I can not solve.
    Thanks,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, May 22, 2020
  11. Rudy Lewis

Computer semi-expert

Apology accepted :)

If you want to see your Blue Screen of Death easily, reboot your computer while holding down F8 and select the "Disable Automatic Start on System Error" option. This will prevent your computer from restarting automatically when it encounters a BSOD.

Computer semi-expert, May 22, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  12. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Fantastic! I actually found someone (besides Liz) who gave me information (even though I did not ask for it) relating to but not directly on topic. It was something that I would have had to search for when I finally got around to deciding it would be a good idea to know what the (okay, I will use the acronym now) BSOD was telling me. Thanks and kudos to (your name here) who gave me the info on the Disable Automatic Restart solution. I will paste the error messages from the BSOD in this forum if it ever happens again. I hope someone is not going to tell me "It will happen again because you are using an old OS with an old browser version). BSOD does not happen because you use unsupported OS or software. BSOD could happen to any Windows OS, according to my searches. I found out any comment/question is fair game in a forum, even if it is not entirely on on point. That having been said, I am very happy for any useful information, although I am quite sure any answers posted are considered useful by the person posting them. I realized this many years ago, but it is hard to be patient and understanding when one just wants an answer. This also is an attempt to apologize for my bad behavior in a recent post. Thanks (your name here) for accepting my previous apology.
    RL

P.S. I reread the answers again. When I was told "The same issue was happening with my uncle's old Windows 7 or XP computer", I guess I was angry with the fact people keep calling OS and software "old". Just because support has stopped, that does not mean the software is old. Just because Microsoft and other companies say their previous software is outdated, that does not make it so. After all, if a particular software is outdated, then no one would be using it. Case in point is XP. They want to brainwash people into thinking it is old, then they can sell more products. The main reason companies produce new (I know, opposite of old) and similar products is to force people to buy them when the company refuses to support the previous software. I strongly believe it is a security fallacy; hackers are mainly interested in sites with secure information they can steal. Other hackers are average people interested in using software without paying. The only hackers interested interested in me and people like me are those who want to be able to say "I killed another one!" I know my comments are not on point with my primary question (I know I am being a hypocrite); however, I wanted to let everyone know I understand where they are coming from when they post answers to my questions, and I want to thank everyone for attempting to help. See, I have calmed down now that I have an answer I can use. Boy, I sure am a windbag, am I not?
    Thanks,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, May 22, 2020
  13. Rudy Lewis

Computer semi-expert

XP, Vista, and 7 have the best BSODs because they actually give detailed stop code info. 8 and 10 just show a frowny face with a QR code and a small message about your computer having a problem, but barely any technical info.

Computer semi-expert, May 23, 2020
Ask a Question