Goodbye me little lovelies

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Aunty Jack, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Aunty Jack

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello from Aunty Jack,

Something trashed the ethernet link from my main modem/router.
    Re-installed XP from scratch and quess what, no net link.
    Lost the "activate" app for Vista.
    Not my day at all.

So, call me a traitor if you wish, back to Linux. (LinuxMint 17 "mate" version".
    I have had a lot of good fun on XP Forum and will miss it. Maybe in future I will try to install XP on a spare hard disk and be back

In the words of "Aunty Jack", the main player/persona in an old Aussie comedy show. "goodbye me little lovelies".

Cheers,

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 9, 2014
  2. Aunty Jack

Jojo

The reason you don't have a link is the drivers for modern modems are not on your installation disc.

You need, firstly, to identify the manufacturer of your drivers. MIne are part of a set, for example, Asus. The same as the motherboard.

However, I suspect you really just want to leave and make a bit of a song and dance. Have fun. Good luck with Linux.

Jojo, Sep 9, 2014
  3. Aunty Jack

Aunty Jack

Reply to Jojo

Jojo,

I regard your reply to me in open forum as insulting and offensive. My post/message was to say that I was very happy to be part of the XP forum and somewhat sad to leave.
    It is appropriate that I in turn reply to to you in open forum rather than a private message. What one may see, all can see.

I know what drivers are.
    I know what installation discs are.
    I know what old modem/routers can and can't do.

As for your comment about, "making a song and dance", if you see it that way you are lacking in common good manners and in my opinion comments of that nature do not become a senior member of any forum.

Terminate my membership if you wish. That is a matter for you. Should I install XP again and see that I am "banned" from the forum for taking issue with you, so be it.

Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 9, 2014
  4. Aunty Jack

Jojo

I am just an member here like you so termination is the province of higher powers for both of us.

I do hope you derive the pleasure from your little outburst that you seek.

Wish you well. Good luck with Linux, you'll need it.

Jojo, Sep 10, 2014
  5. Aunty Jack

eatup

@OP. I hope you switch back to XP soon... It'll be an eye opener how XP is 10X way more beautiful when you enable clear type fonts with the powertoy app. It certainly opened my eyes...

eatup, Sep 21, 2014
  6. Aunty Jack

Jody Thornton

Can't you just enable clear type in the Desktop properties section?

Jody Thornton, Sep 27, 2014
  7. Aunty Jack

eatup

No, what I mean is XP fonts are already beautiful without clear type. CT is just the icing on the cake. Linux impressed me a lot with its features. But that impression only lasted until I went back to XP. Now, I can't ever go back after seeing the best of both worlds...

eatup, Sep 27, 2014
  8. Aunty Jack

Aunty Jack

Hello Eatup from Aunty Jack,

Yes, back with XP. Flirtation with Vista but the old tried and true XP is perfect for what I want and do. Thank you for your encouragement to come back. Much appreciated.

Cheers from Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 27, 2014
  9. Aunty Jack

rosebbi

Hello from Aunty Jack,

It seems like you've had your share of technical challenges. Welcome back to Linux! Enjoy your LinuxMint 17 journey, and perhaps XP will make a return someday. "Goodbye, me little lovelies!"

rosebbi, Sep 8, 2023
Ask a Question