Getting into Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Jojo, May 24, 2014.

1. Jojo

Jojo

Since SP3 I've been having a problem getting into Safe Mode, when running anti-malware and such.

Pressing F8 beings up a blue screen with a list of the drives available for BOOTing. But no means of opting for Safe Mode.

Not sure why. M$ and others seem to deny there is any problem. Others seem to have it as well, but they tend to be pointed back to the F8 on startup and when they say this doesn't work, are

told to try again.

I think I've figured a work around.

Right click on My Computer. Click Advanced Tab. Click Startup and Recovery: Settings. Now click the Edit button

The boot.ini loads and will look something like this:

Cut and paste this file into a copy to notepad, on the desktop, as a backup.

Now, add this line:

Finally, click File and Save. At this point, you may want to increase the time out period. Mine was set to 2, I increased it to 4.

Now, restart, watch the screen with your finger over the up arrow. As soon a screen opens asking you with Operating System you want, press up arrow. This will cause the whole process to

wait.

Now, press F8 and select Safe Mode :)

Jojo, May 24, 2014
  2. Jojo

Elizabeth23

Examples of Boot.ini
    A typical simple example [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    Example with Recovery Console as an option [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Example with Safe Mode as an option and "timeout" =10 seconds [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

I noticed that there is a space here on your boot.ini

)\WINDOW S

there should be no space between the w and the s.

============

you can use msconfig to boot to safe mode, the only problem is to remember to switch back to normal mode BEFORE leaving safe mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#winxo

above has instructions for this.

==============

backup your boot.ini and create one from my example for just windows, do you have a prob entering safe mode now using F8??

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    Elizabeth23, May 25, 2014
  3. Jojo

Jojo

I know about the msconfig method. But sometimes machines can be taken over by programs which load before you can get into msconfig.

But accessing Safe Mode from startup is an important protection I think. Obscuring it in this way, possibly keys reassigned, is unacceptable.

I know others have made a similar complaint in forums on the web, from time to time. This workaround, at least, allows Safe Mode to be accessed normally again.

Jojo, May 25, 2014
  4. Jojo

Elizabeth23

as long as you can enter safe mode that is good, except that it should be able to be entered through F8 or a problem exists.

I had safe mode as a boot option, but took it off as it would sometimes cause the keyboard to lockup when you went to safe mode with networking and then you could not enter your password or anything and would have to do a hard restart.

I do not like to do ungraceful shutdowns and always run checkdisk afterwords just to check.

Elizabeth23, May 26, 2014
  5. Jojo

Jojo

On the matter of the space between WINDOW and S I checked my ini file and there is none there. I can only assume a space must have crept in.

Thanks for pointing this out Elizabeth. I have corrected the entry

Jojo, May 28, 2014
  6. Jojo

Jojo

I have tried reposting the two example ini files to remove the space between WINDOW and S.

Each time, after posting, the lines appear on screen with that extra space inserted.

Not sure what is going on to be honest. I looked at your file and see a space between WINDOWS and S as well, on that particular line.

Possibly the software here assuming part of the code needs to be executed, instead of simply printed.

Strange, since I assumed, enclosing the files in quotes would ensure they would be printed as written.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Jojo, May 28, 2014
  7. Jojo

Elizabeth23

then it might not have a space and it is just the editor of this forum that makes it seem as though there is a space. WS, hmmm seems to not have a space when I type it in

as long as no space shows on the boot.ini of your pc you are good to go.

Elizabeth23, May 28, 2014
Ask a Question