Fresh install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by LetsRock, Oct 16, 2015.

1. LetsRock

LetsRock

Had to completely whip my drive and install xp like day 1 getting it in mail. How do I get all the updates up too when Microsoft quit using automatic updater. I can't seem to open any webpages to download anything not even update INternet explorer because no web pages support the older version. Thanks in advance for any help.

LetsRock, Oct 16, 2015
  2. LetsRock

Elizabeth23

first, did you install all drivers??

if not then I need the make,

model and model number of your pc,

laptop or desktop ??

You will have to go to a working pc and download, sp3 to a flash drive and then install manually as microsoft updates will not work without sp3.

when it is installed, there will be many updates so install only about 50 at a time.

if you have a hp, you might need a patch first before sp3, read below:

Courtesy of Tricky 300

Before you install SP3 read this article…
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
    …and if your PC is an HP Pavilion, Presario or Media Center and has an AMD processor you need to install this patch before installing SP3…
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2
    …to find out if you have an AMD processor...
    • Hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and hit the Pause Break key
    • Your processor type is shown in the Computer: section
    Then install SP3 by downloading and running from...
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24
    …you can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.
    Reboot twice after installing.
    =================

also, you should download an offline install of your antivirus and install before you go to windows updates.

============

also, what service pack are you on now??

32 or 64 bit??

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Oct 16, 2015
  3. LetsRock

LetsRock

Compaq presario SR-1930NX

Sp2 with the fresh install 32 bit

Intel processor

I will work on today getting sp3 onto computer.

The only devices that don't seem to be updated are under other.
    Pci device
    Sm bus controller
    Video controller
    Video controller (vga compatible)

LetsRock, Oct 16, 2015
  4. LetsRock

LetsRock

Ok so sp3 downloaded with no problems I've been online for a couple hours and no automatic updates so far, and when I use internet explorer 6 nothing but errors on every page.

LetsRock, Oct 16, 2015
  5. LetsRock

eatup

Sounds like one of those Windows Update quirks. This is quite normal. I've had freshly installed systems go on for days before WU decided it was time to get started...

Have you tried typing "wuauclt.exe" (Windows Update Automatic Update CLienT) into the run box in the start menu to kick-start the service?

eatup, Oct 17, 2015
  6. LetsRock

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 17, 2015
  7. LetsRock

Termingamer2-JD

IE6 doesn't support OneDrive anymore, unfortunately.

However SeaMonkey 2.38 does, so I suggest you download that browser from this page: http://www.filehorse.com/download-seamonkey/ (Works in IE6)

SeaMonkey is the latest Firefox without the terrible UI, the Chrome copycat features and constant memory leaks.

Then you can download IE8 using OneDrive, to keep the system a bit more secure.

I hope this helps you, and lets you use a GOOD browser, which also includes a mail client. If you used the original Mozilla Application Suite, SeaMonkey is the continuation of it after a split between it and Firefox/Thunderbird.

Note: SSL 3.0 is disabled by default in SeaMonkey, because SSL 3 is very insecure these days thanks to POODLE attacks and the like.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Termingamer2-JD, Oct 18, 2015
  8. LetsRock

fingerfood12345

I've been using an XP install that has no updates, that I know of, and have been using it for nearly ten years that way. Unless you need a specific update, and I don't know why you would need any specific update, don't bother.
    If these 'security' updates are so effective and so necessary, how come I use five to seven different AV programs to keep my XP safe, clean, and secure.
    If you are having browser problems, I would suggest you have browser problems, or you need to re-do a clean install of XP with SP3 slipstreamed, if you haven't already done that.
    IMHO...

fingerfood12345, Nov 1, 2015
  9. LetsRock

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2016
Ask a Question