fresh install of xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by jimcla, Apr 2, 2014.

1. jimcla

jimcla

just recently installed xp pro sp-3 on a lenova thinkpad there was a partition on the hdd that was there for recovery that I left when doing the fresh install when install was finished I had a c: and a D: drives for the hard drive and it labled c as recov. partition up until recently it has worked great no problems installing any software or doing updates . but the last software I tried installing it has tried to install on the c: partition but not enough room am doesn't give me the option to install on D: what can I do to correct this problem. thank you.

jimcla, Apr 2, 2014
  2. jimcla

Elizabeth23

you can use a third party program from here, that will let you extend the c drive and delete the d drive

other than a third party program you would have to reinstall xp again and during the install delete all partitions and have c: drive on the whole harddrive.

Elizabeth23, Apr 2, 2014
  3. jimcla

denrecnoc

Your description sounds as if you installed XP to Drive D: and somehow created a C: drive as a recovery partition. This sort of install isn't normal.

Lenovo recovery partition and Discs, normally installs to C: drive as the boot and OS installation drive. and creates a second hidden (un-lettered) partition as a recovery partition.

If you don't have a set of Lenovo XPs recovery CDs I would first create a set either from Lenovos Rescue and Recovery application from the Created Rescue Media, which I believe is also part of RnR. If RnR isn't installed, it can be located in the C:\SWTOOLS\APPS\rnr folder. Versions can also be downloaded from Lenovo's website using the update application from the Thinkvantage folder. The program searches for programs that aren't installed or need to be updated.

You normally don't want the recovery partition as a letter designation unless it is an RnR backup.

If XP is already installed on the C: partition, I would still create a set of recovery CDs from the RnR application then delete the recovery partition. The recovery partition and recovery cds have same programming only the CDs allow you to perform a factory state install in case the recovery partition becomes damaged or deleted.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    denrecnoc, Apr 4, 2014
  4. jimcla

denrecnoc

The recovery partition and disc basically allow you to return the Thinpad or Thinkcentre back to it's origninal factory state with drivers and software applications. RnR (Rescue and Recovery) which is also part of the recovery discs and partition also allows you to perform incremental backups and restores of your drives.

If you don't want the Lenovo's OE XP installation, then go ahead and delete the recover partition. Once the restore partition is deleted you won't have access to the OE install unless first backed up onto cds.

denrecnoc, Apr 4, 2014
Ask a Question