Found new hardware Wizard problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by dalpets, Jun 1, 2015.

1. dalpets

dalpets

I am running SP3 in Pro.

I am trying to load a driver in admin but the wizard will not open the directory containing the driver on either my hard drive or on a usb stick.

When I try to load the driver manually it says it's successfully installed but it does not show up in device manager.

Is there a workaround for this problem.

Thanks

dalpets, Jun 1, 2015
  2. dalpets

Elizabeth23

what driver are you installing??

did you look under hidden devices?? under view tab, click Show hidden devices

Elizabeth23, Jun 1, 2015
  3. dalpets

dalpets

I can open it manually, so it's not hidden. In such instance it executes but is not recognized by the system.

In the wizard I can right click the containing folder to see it but that does not satisfy the wizard.

The driver is for a usb programming cable that drives the interface for a hand held radio,

dalpets, Jun 2, 2015
  4. dalpets

Elizabeth23

does the paperwork say that the driver is xp compatible??

what is the make, and model number of the hand radio??

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2015
  5. dalpets

dalpets

RT Systems say their driver is compatible with XP Pro SP3.
    The radio is a Wouxun RG-UV899, which the company supports with their programming software.
    When I initially had this problem the company remotely loaded the driver on my system, but now I want the driver on my laptop. I seem to remember this being a problem at times over the years with a few other drivers.

It's infuriating that the wizard will not open the driver folder for me.

dalpets, Jun 5, 2015
  6. dalpets

Elizabeth23

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Jun 6, 2015
  7. dalpets

dalpets

No joy at those sites I'm afraid, but thanks anyhow.

The company's support is very limited I'm afraid & they've avoided answering my question regarding the folder issue.

The support person I spoke to for the initial remote session had to get special approval from above to do so internationally, so I wouldn't get far asking again for my laptop, I suspect.

dalpets, Jun 6, 2015
  8. dalpets

Elizabeth23

well if the driver is located on one pc, you can copy it to a flash drive and then copy it to the proper place on the laptop??

the software is free to download at the company site, I assume this is where you got the driver you are trying to install now.

First, get rid of anything that is dealing with this radio that is on the laptop now, do a search through hidden files for this program and delete any leftovers after removing from add/remove.

then go through registry and delete these items also

then go through device manager and uninstall any thing dealing with the radio, then we can try again with no previous items interfering, and try to install from safe mode.

Elizabeth23, Jun 7, 2015
Ask a Question