Firefox upgraded on its own

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by cornemuse, Sep 13, 2017.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

Turned on the comp this morning, started Firefox (v. 29xx portable), it upgraded itself and I could not stop it. (u/g to 43xx). It turned into a slug! I am hating it. I do not know how or why this happened. The instant I started it, it upgraded. The reason I want v. 29 is there are a lot of advertisements that 29 doesent support & pages load much faster. All that crap loads to a huge page.

I reinstalled 29 but all passwords need to be re-entered for pages requiring them, a royal PITA!

Is there any way to revert back to 29 from 43?? (I have written down all p/w's in a small note book, takes forever, I know.

Help!!

-corne-

cornemuse, Sep 13, 2017
  2. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

when I reinstall firefox for any reason there are 5 files ( of the several noted in the above link) that I copy to either my desktop or a flash drive for my bookmarks and login/passwords and when finished reinstalling firefox I place these files in my new profile folder. do not have to sign in again or rather I start signing in and my info fills in .

this happens on some sites the first time I go to them with the new installation.

as for updating, I have turned off automatic updating and now when a new ESR update is available a dialog box opens to see if I want to install.

so you should be able to copy the files from your current installation if all the logins, etc. are in place and then install 29, turn off auto updates and go from there . :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 13, 2017
  3. cornemuse

cornemuse

That was quick!!

Thanks!

-c-

edit: I have always turned off auto updating & saved link for turning off the stupid "one tab always showing" thing <-it serves NO purpose.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    cornemuse, Sep 14, 2017
  4. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

not sure what the "one tab always showing" is about, I set it to always open links in a new tab within the same window and always in the background.

with auto updates off, firefox still updates from 29 to 43??

Elizabeth23, Sep 14, 2017
  5. cornemuse

Mike_Walsh

I know it's not of much use to you here (I think Liz knows more about how to do this kinda stuff than me), but in Puppy, to stop this happening, we go into the main FireFox folder and delete the updater's binary.

It's known as a 'compassionate abortion at birth'..!

I really don't know how you'd do it in XP, 'cos it's years since I ever used FF there (and I believe the updater controls were in a separate folder in Windows).

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Sep 14, 2017
  6. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 15, 2017
  7. cornemuse

cornemuse

What I ended up doing was (remember, FF portable), opened FF 42 folder (the u/g on its own one), opened 'data' folder, copied the whole 'profile' folder to the newly installed ff 29 'data' folder, Everything is ok, had to reset screen size "ctrl - or ctrl +"

When ff portable installs, it allus installs in the folder the zip file is in, as 'FirefoxPortable', copy the zip to root dir then install, I directly rename it to FF 29 (FF whatever version it is)

It seems that the 'profile' folder is the same for all (so far) versions, & data stored there is identical.

I copied the whole Firefox folder from the root dir to a thumb drive, all data, passwords, bookmarks, etc is there, runs slightly slower (reading from thumb drive?) & copying to another computers root drive, cant tell the difference.

-c-

cornemuse, Sep 20, 2017
Ask a Question