Firefox irritations!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by trimis, Oct 22, 2017.

1. trimis

trimis

Over the course of some days i have installed and uninstalled Firefox version 21, version 3.5, and version 2.? The problem was a constant and seemingly never ending stream of popups, whining that the site I wanted to visit had a non-acceptable security certificate, and that I would have to add an exception to be allowed to go there....but it would take four or more clicks to satisfy Firefox. Then while on that site I would click on a link, and the popup scenario would be repeated. Site after site. Again and again. I looked online for how to disable it, and nothing suggested worked, or worked for very long. I tore into 'about:config' and changed 'true' to 'false' everything I could find relating to security certificates. Nothing worked or worked for very long (Firefox seems to have some sort of protection mechanism to undo user changes). As last resort I rolled back from version 21 to 3.5 to 2.something. Finally I ditched Firefox in disgust. If anyone has a solution to this, I'd like to hear it, and if it seems feasible, I may give Firefox one last chance.

trimis, Oct 22, 2017
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

not sure what your issue is, I do not have this problem, I use firefox version 52.4.0 ESR, with flashplayer plugin and uBlock Origin extension. it might be because you are using a very old version??

Elizabeth23, Oct 22, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

cornemuse

I have no problem with ff v 29 (portable installed on desktop)

cornemuse, Oct 22, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  4. trimis

trimis

I'll give 52.4.0 a shot. Did it come with the plugin and extension, or did you have to install them individually? Got a link? I want to get exactly what you got, so if it all goes south again maybe we can figure out how to fix it...otherwise IObit will be kicking Firefox to the curb for good.

trimis, Oct 25, 2017
  5. trimis

trimis

I have a upcoming project for next month to have a techie I know install firefox 21.0, portable adobe flash 27.0.0.170, and Youtube High Definition 52.0.3 add-on into a flash drive to see if that solves the never ending whining about security certificates...and lets me watch internet TV shows! Was there a particular reason you picked Firefox 29?

trimis, Oct 25, 2017
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Elizabeth23, Oct 25, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  7. trimis

cornemuse

Prefer dropdown menus, not all these little icons, "Oh, I wonder what this one means??"
    Also general layout.
    29x seems to run smoother for me than 52x, or any newer versions for that matter

cornemuse, Oct 31, 2017
  8. trimis

trimis

Is it giving you a lot of whining about 'security certificate' being invalid when you surf the internet? If not, I may try it out on the flash drive instead of version 21. I believe version 21, 3.5, and 2.? was the ones I tried already, and jettisoned...doubt they will behave any better as a portable app.

trimis, Nov 1, 2017
  9. trimis

cornemuse

Nothing about security certs, mainly there some videos which dont work, which I mostly skip most vids anyways.

Oh, and "you should update to chrome", right, , , ,

cornemuse, Nov 1, 2017
    trimis likes this.
  10. trimis

trimis

Sounds good. About the videos, are you using flash player or that HTML5 player? Weird that Firefox is pushing Chrome. Maybe a leftover from when Mozilla and Google was all cozy? I wouldn't touch Chrome, but do have Slimjet and SRWare Iron; both chromium-based. The Slimjet I think is okay for privacy, but not so sure about the latter. What i would really like to get is Superbird, but its defying my download skill!

trimis, Nov 2, 2017
Ask a Question