(FireFox) Basilisk Serpent no longer able to login to my bank

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by ImWolf, Apr 21, 2021.

1. ImWolf

ImWolf

I started asking about this on a much older thread page related to Basilisk, but let me try again on a separate thread dealing with FireFox (and offshoots) in general.

As I wrote b4....

***************************************************************************************

I've been using Serpent V.2019.12.06 (32 bit) on WinXP (32 bit) for some time now. Every so often I need to "update" the UserAgent setting to allow login to my bank as they make security changes, but this is recently no longer a "fix".

The bank redirects me to a page that states I am currently running FireFox V.87, and the minimum requirement for them is V.84, so I must upgrade my browser. (hmmmm).

So I thought I might try updating Serpent to the latest version...... (clipped)

********************************************************************************************

Since that writing I have tried various flavors of Basilisk, updated the "general.useragent.override" settings, and even have override settings specific to my bank, (ie, general.useragent.override.mybank.com) but the banks recently updated security tells me that I need to upgrade from my current browser of (spoofed) V.88 to at least V.84.

So now my question is how does the bank identify which browser I am running, and how do I deal with that so I can allow my spoofed setting to still enable me to login running WinXP and a FireFox variant?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    ImWolf, Apr 21, 2021
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  2. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

with my bank, it was because they had made a new sign in page and I was using an old page on a bookmark, try to delete your bookmark if you have been using one and do a search for the login page, this will get you the new page that you can then bookmark, also go HERE to find out what your browser heading is, even though I am using firefox 52.9 ESR, my browser is spoofing to show that it is firefox 88. these two issues may be your problem

Elizabeth23, Apr 21, 2021
  3. ImWolf

ImWolf

With my particular bank (Timberland), this does not seem to be the case. No matter if I use a bookmark, or a web search for their login page I am first taken to this page.
    Timber1.jpg

Then I must click on the "Access Accounts" button, which takes me to a new page (with same URL) Timber2.jpg

On this 2nd page I enter only the User Name and hit "LOGIN TO ACCOUNT", which brings up a 3rd page with a different URL.

Timber3.jpg

On this page I enter only the password, which then takes me to the actual online banking site where I can conduct my business.

I have been able to login (and generate these images) by booting into Linux Mint and using FireFox 85. When I try logging in using Basilisk Serpent however running under Windows XP the 3rd page asking for a password never appears and I am directed to this page instead.

Timber4.jpg

I have been using only Serpent for some time now, but perhaps I will install FireFox 52.9 again and see if that makes a difference.

Your Stack Overflow link above deals with 32bit vs 64bit drivers.... not sure if you got the link wrong or I missed something?

ImWolf, Apr 21, 2021
  4. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 21, 2021
  5. ImWolf

ImWolf

No worries Elizabeth.... I figured you must be goofy.... :b

None of my research or fiddling around has made a difference. The real question remains the same.... How is my bank (and your bank next) identifying my browser as unacceptable?

Editing the useragent.override string is no longer a fix.

ImWolf, Apr 22, 2021
  6. ImWolf

red Guest

hi
    have tried to install this browser but i can not find it for download all links i have found do not work, also have read you have to modify it to work ,so is there a version that is ready for use?

red, Apr 22, 2021
  7. ImWolf

ImWolf

You can find the latest releases at:

https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

Older archived releases are here:

http://archive.palemoon.org/basilisk/

So far as I know, these browsers are "ready for use", although you may need to tweak configuration settings to suit your needs. I would suggest you read Clippybeer's thread to get your feet wet:

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/serpent-web-browser.933889/

ImWolf, Apr 22, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  8. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Apr 22, 2021
    ImWolf likes this.
  9. ImWolf

red Guest

red, Apr 22, 2021
  10. ImWolf

red Guest

red, Apr 22, 2021
  11. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

okey dokey

Elizabeth23, Apr 22, 2021
  12. ImWolf

red Guest

have used your link unzipped with 7 zip there is no set up or install folder in the download ? have used serpent with the snake pic within the unzipped files,made a shortcut to said files and works that way,seem alot faster than fox is at the mo but wont let me import any book marks from fox ,also tried chromium what a waste of time that is
    cheers phill

red, Apr 23, 2021
  13. ImWolf

ImWolf

Sorry about the late reply.... For some reason I didn't receive the normal e-mail alert.

Originally the Serpent browsers were "portable" meaning that there is no setup. You simply extract to your chose of directory and run the basilisk.exe to start the browser (as you did). Now however I see that latest renditions of Serpent do create a data sub-directory buried in "my documents and settings" to store configuration files... so not really as portable any more.

To import your old bookmarks out of FF, you should run FF first, open "show all bookmarks", and create a backup file. Then open Serpent, run "show all bookmarks" again and import that file.

ImWolf, Apr 26, 2021
  14. ImWolf

ImWolf

UPDATE: I have now D/L, modified, and run the latest releases of Basilisk52, Basilisk55, and re-installed FireFox 52.9esr.... Still cannot login to my online banking page. Each of them bring me to the same page telling me I must update my browser from FF88 to at least FF84.

Obviously, the "useragent.override" strings are not being used by my bank to I.D. the browser(s).

:*(

ImWolf, Apr 26, 2021
  15. ImWolf

Elizabeth23

have you called your bank directly to ask for assistance?

Elizabeth23, Apr 26, 2021
  16. ImWolf

ImWolf

I have only contacted them via online text (while booted into Linux).... they gave me a useless reply. Still waiting on reply for "how do you folks identify my browser"..... which I doubt they will explain.

ImWolf, Apr 26, 2021
  17. ImWolf

ImWolf

In the mean time, I'm experimenting with all sorts of "general.useragent.override" strings... without any success so far. I'm curious as to why I'm finding so many examples on various web sites where the string includes "Gecko/20100101". This is supposed to be the build date of the browser, but folks are using this same value for many versions of FireFox. All of these FF versions were not released on Jan. 1st of 2010.... so what's up with that?

ImWolf, Apr 26, 2021
  18. ImWolf

red Guest

ty for that :)

red, Apr 26, 2021
  19. ImWolf

Samir

It's probably not a matter of your bank knowing the browser versus the bank site determining that your browser doesn't support a particular function they are using and the default error message is probably 'upgrade browser'.

Honestly, I would NEVER use online banking with anything other than the TENS live cd. Online banking is the biggest and fastest way to lose every penny you ever had and the criminals know it. I still walk into the bank and because of that they know if it's not me pretty quickly if someone is trying to pull something. Also, read your banking terms of service--lots of banking protections have been removed so online banking just adds to that risk.

Samir, May 3, 2021
Ask a Question