Filehorse is no longer a safe download source

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by trimis, Apr 9, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

Filehorse.com which was on my previous list of safe sites to download software, is no longer. Last night I downloaded Bleachbit 1.7, which came loaded up with four PUPs, plus some sort of malware that took out my VDSL connection, and paralyzed most of my PC. Fortunately, I had not yet got around to disabling 'system restore', which saved the day. If you download from Filehorse use the same caution as with CNET, or download.com.

On a semi-related topic, I'd advise against downloading Smadav Antivirus, unless you are willing to pay for the 'pro' version....the free one is nagware that is constant.

trimis, Apr 9, 2020
    jim davis likes this.
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

best to always scan every download before opening

Elizabeth23, Apr 9, 2020
    jim davis and trimis like this.
  3. trimis

trimis

I expect so, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do that. I have Malwarebytes installed, and was going to install Virus Total Scanner next (before this near disaster happened), but now I'm hesitant to install anything til I have access to a computer tech doing housecalls again. So far as I can tell, Malwarebytes Free does not do this on its own, as I got no warning til after I opened it....too little too late.

trimis, Apr 9, 2020
    jim davis likes this.
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

any antivirus and malwarebytes free also should have a right click option to scan just that file I have this for my 360 total security essentials and for malwarebytes free

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2020
    jim davis likes this.
  5. trimis

jim davis

Liz, how well does that work on other anti virus files, can you do that to all free program files and get real results

jim davis, Apr 10, 2020
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

I always run malwarebytes free and 360 TSE on my downloaded files, I do not use any other antivirus and if I am still not sure I run the file through Virus Total online, with a right click context you can scan any file you wish, but when doing full scans these files have already been checked, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2020
Ask a Question