File Attributes

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by bigh, Jul 19, 2017.

1. bigh

bigh

Hi to all,

I have files on my pc that are read only, when I uncheck the "read only" checkbox and try to copy them on to my pen drive the "tick" reappears and I cannot copy them?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Neil

bigh, Jul 19, 2017
  2. bigh

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 19, 2017
  3. bigh

bigh

HI Elizabeth,

Thank you very much for the link but when I right click on the folder and select "Properties" it only comes up with three tabs, they are, General, Sharing and Customize there is no "Security" tab to change the attributes?

I know I must be doing something wrong but \I don`t know what, any further help and guidance would be very much appreciated

Kindest regards

Neil

bigh, Jul 20, 2017
  4. bigh

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2017
  5. bigh

bigh

Hi Elizabeth,

You are so very patient.

I have followed the instructions but the only option missing under "Tools" "folder Options" is the "Use Simple File Sharing" is not there?

Any further ideas? I have followed exactly what was said, tried it both in my account, MY Computer, Tools Folder Options and its not listed then tried "Safe Mode" and used the Administrator account with the same results

I`m flummoxed, I just want to put all my old work docs etc. on to memory stick then transfer them to my new pc but this is proving a nightmare and a get the error warning this file cannot be copied

Why do you think the "security" tab and the "Folder" options tab have omitted these "uncheck" simple file sharing?

Thanks again for all your help and patience

Neil

bigh, Jul 21, 2017
  6. bigh

Elizabeth23

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-missing-simple-file-sharing.244936/

above has a .reg fix to enable use simple file sharing to show

are you using xp home or xp pro??

Use REGEDIT and go to this location:

My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers.
    You should have the following two keys:

{1f2e5c40-9550-11ce-99d2-00aa006e086c} to enable the Security Tab and
    {f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} to enable the Sharing Tab.

Re-create any missing key if necessary.

Elizabeth23, Jul 21, 2017
  7. bigh

bigh

Hi Elizabeth,

So sorry about this but still having problems, I`ve attached a photo of what I see in regedit

following the path you have said in the .drv folder I only see "PersistantHandler" and not \shellex\PropertySheetHandlers

I entered the key`s in the "Find" next dialogue box and they are not there, I just didn`t want to add them manually as I wasn`t sure where to add them with those other folders not being there or can you just add them anywhere?

The version of XP is Home Edition

Like I say I have added a photo of what I see

Thanks again, and have a lovely day

Neil

Attached Files:

bigh, Jul 21, 2017
  8. bigh

Elizabeth23

you are not in the correct area, it is not .drv it is Drive, scroll down further to the items without a dot in front, :)

to make a key you would right click on Property sheet handlers and choose NEW> and then KEY and you would type in the security tab string including the curvy brackets.

9. bigh

bigh

Hi Elizabeth,

The sharing tab string is there but the was no value so I tried with"0" then"1" in both ordinary and safe mode but still not showing the security tab, I must be doing something wrong your instructions are perfect to follow but it just will not show up?

Is there anything you could think of that I may be doing wrong?

Sorry to be such a pain

Neil

PS where did you learn all this you seem to be a complete genius just rolling all this off the top of your head

bigh, Jul 21, 2017
  10. bigh

Elizabeth23

put the sharing tab back to default do not change as it will not necessarily do what you want. :)

in my reply #6 there is a link to a forum thread that has a registry fix to all xp home to show the security tab, you have to scroll down to it so read the entire thread

and since you do not have the key you will have to create a security key, different from the sharing key! :)

==========

I learned what I know from reading the forums and doing things myself, If I messed my pc up while trying various suggestions I just reinstalled and kept on. Believe me there is a ton of stuff on xp out on the internet, you just have to search for it and ask questions. :)

11. bigh

bigh

sorry I musn`t have explained myself very well it was the security string I was talking about which had no value and I changed to both "1" and "0" but I did put it back just empty with no value but as I said it makes no difference, what can I do?

It`s giving me brain freeze and I must be giving you a right old headache, sorry

Your dead right though search engines are your friend, everything I have learned about pc`s I've got from the web, I was a bit late getting to the party though only started a couple of years ago but this has got me well flummoxed

bigh, Jul 21, 2017
  12. bigh

Elizabeth23

did you read the thread and download the registry fix to have the security tab show in xp home??

13. bigh

bigh

Hi Elizabeth,

That link has expired so was going to try the .reg fix

I have been hunting about online all day but I am struggling to find any answers they just keep saying to "uncheck" the file box, which doesn`t show in mine or use the security tab which is also not there on mine

I have put an attachment of what it says to do in regedit but I want to be sure before I go altering things in there.

In the instructions it says REGEDIT4, I take it I only put in the folder the rest below the HKEY description?

Thanks

Neil

Attached Files:

bigh, Jul 23, 2017
  14. bigh

Elizabeth23

open notepad and copy the items below exactly:

;----start copy----
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\SimpleSharing]
    "Type"="checkbox"
    "Text"="@shell32.dll,-30518"
    "HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002
    "RegPath"="System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\LSA"
    "ValueName"="ForceGuest"
    "CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
    "UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
    "HelpID"="shell.hlp#51154"
    "DefaultValue"=dword:00000001

;----end copy----

then give it a name such as fix.reg , save to desktop and then double click to merge into the registry. I tested this out on my own, even with the start and end copy included. when you double click it will ask if you want to merge to registry, click yes and then reboot, and check the results.

Elizabeth23, Jul 23, 2017
  15. bigh

bigh

Hi,

I`ve put two pics on as to what I`ve put in the .reg file, please tell me if I`ve included to much or not enough of the text and also a pic from the XP machine after I doubled clicked the .reg file from the desktop

Thanks

Neil

I never thought something so ordinary like copying files to a memory stick could be so difficult

Attached Files:

bigh, Jul 24, 2017
  16. bigh

Elizabeth23

you would only get that error if you did not save as a .reg,

save all to notepad and in the save box type fix.reg (that is fix DOT reg and then save) and then double click it. if the file on the desktop does not say .reg then it was not saved right, you can go to folder options and remove the checkmark from the box that says to hide known file extensions

Elizabeth23, Jul 24, 2017
Ask a Question