external backup gone wrong

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by beverly, May 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM.

1. beverly

beverly

I was doing a external backup and everything started disappearing from the computer. can this be fixed.

beverly, May 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    1. Advertisements

2. beverly

Elizabeth23

not sure what you mean about disappearing, are you sure you did not MOVE files instead of COPY?

Elizabeth23, May 17, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    1. Advertisements

3. beverly

beverly

By disappearing I mean I had no start button , I couldn't do anything all functions were gone. so I just shut it off. But during the process I was told that the files will be replaced and I may have clicked onto yes instead of no, and proceeded with the backup.

beverly, May 18, 2018 at 2:06 PM
  4. beverly

Elizabeth23

when the desktop does not appear, then press crtl+alt+del together to bring up task manager, then in file/new/ type in explorer.exe and your desktop will come back. Sometimes depending on what is going on in the background the desktop will be slow to appear, so I have to see what is running and cancel it.

you need to run chkdsk with the /r parameter either from the recovery console or from the command prompt, you should do this whenever there has been an ungraceful shutdown.

Elizabeth23, May 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM
  5. beverly

beverly

Problem solved thanks for your help elizabeth23. I have another question for u. I tried to download a program to do the backup and i got a message that said seagate toolkit.exe in not a valid Win32 application. How can i fix this.

beverly, May 20, 2018 at 4:49 PM
  6. beverly

j896

I think when yo get .exe in not a valid Win32 application that means it dont work with XP. Elizabeth23 would know better then me..

j896, May 20, 2018 at 5:52 PM
  7. beverly

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, May 20, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question