Experience with Half-Life on my Windows XP PC. Also asking for game recomendations

Discussion in 'Windows XP Games' started by RetorMajo, Apr 10, 2022.

1. RetorMajo

RetorMajo

I recently tried to run Half-Life on my Windows XP PC, which I'm pimping up thanks to you guys. Everything went normal until the shooting tutorial started, the game started being unresponsive and the system too, I tried to use Alt+Tab to change to Windows, then the game closed and I expected "Half-Life has encountered a problem and needs to close", but then I was greeted by this:
    Code:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: hal.dll

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
    these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
    or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x1000008e (0x80000004, 0x80708ae1, 0xf6cbfeec, 0x00000000)

*** hal.dll - Address 0x80708ae1 base at 0x80700000 DateStamp 0x4802517f
    *According to BlueScreenView

So I decided to not have Half-Life on my PC because I'm worried to fry it again.
    And now that we know that, do you guys have a solution for this problem? If it has to do with hardware (that will take long to get), could you guys recommend me some games that won't crash my PC?
    Specs:
    Code:
    Operating System
       Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    CPU
       Intel Pentium 4 631
       Cedar Mill 65nm Technology
    RAM
       1.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
       Intel 945GCT-M (CPU 1)   39 °C
    Graphics
       W1943 (1360x768@60Hz)
       W1943 (1360x768@60Hz)
       Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family (Elitegroup)
    Storage
       298GB Seagate ST3320820SCE (SATA Consumer Electronics )   41 °C
    Optical Drives
       HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30
    Audio
       IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

RetorMajo, Apr 10, 2022
  2. RetorMajo

RetorMajo

UPDATE:
    Also found another dump file, this one is from Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers
    Code:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: igxpdv32.DLL

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
    these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
    or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ea (0x85ecdda8, 0x8566dae8, 0x861735c8, 0x00000001)

*** igxpdv32.DLL - Address 0xbf06e2dc base at 0xbf04f000 DateStamp 0x47b6002d
    Maybe that one happened while Half-Life crashed?
    Also here are the dump files
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/iedzt8jrhbycb5e/Minidump.zip/file

RetorMajo, Apr 10, 2022
  3. RetorMajo

Borg

Uhm.. Your specs are kidna low.. Its hard to recommend anything newer.
    If you want shooters I can recommend you good old DooM (using ZDoom or Zandronum). Using Complex Doom mod, its very nice to play and HARD!
    PM me if you want help setting it up. We can even play online if you choose
    to use Zandronum 2.1.2

Another game I recommend is OpenTTD. Be sure to grab 1.8.0 Win9x build, because
    WinXP SP3 build can make older WinXP BSOD. Also, OpenTTD can be played online.

Not sure what games genres you like.

Borg, Apr 13, 2022
    cleverscreenname and RetorMajo like this.
  4. RetorMajo

RetorMajo

Yeah, I was also thinking on putting DOOM and its variants (like Chex Quest), also I'm really onto shootoers like Touhou or Chicken Invaders, platformers, and puzzle games like lemmings

RetorMajo, Apr 16, 2022
  5. RetorMajo

ClippyBeer

I don't think it's a question of low specs but more likely some hardware problem (hal.dll = Hardware Abstraction Layer and
    igxpdv32.DLL is graphics driver).

I have a lower spec PC than yours and counter Strike 1.6 (which is a half-life mod) works perfectly on this PC. I have it here set in Windowed mode but runs equally well in full screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have Intel GME/GMA for graphics - my experience is that Intel graphics for that era sucked for anything 3d. Good for 2d and video but not 3d. Ideally upgrading to an ATI/Nvidia is what you would want. Adding more RAM would be good for certain games.

ClippyBeer, Apr 16, 2022
  6. RetorMajo

RetorMajo

Yeah, I was considering on updating my graphics card and RAM, perhaps that the VGA entrace is integrated onto the motherboard, which means goodbye to my project of putting a TV tuner for this PC. But anyways, thanks for the tips and press F to pay respects for the TV tuner project. Imagen 001.jpg

RetorMajo, Apr 17, 2022
  7. RetorMajo

Borg

DooM (Software Renderer) and OpenTTD does not require any acceleration.
    So it will work fine with pretty much any graphic card.

Maybe try to grab some used PC from HP or DELL.. Those Core2Duo options w/ 4GB RAM are very cheap. Before buying, check if you still can get WinXP drivers.
    I heard that HP pulled out all WinXP drivers download :/ madness!

Borg, Apr 17, 2022
  8. RetorMajo

krauzer

Have you tried running Half-Life digital version(Steam) or retail? If you tried Steam I recommend you to install the original/retail release(installed from CDs). These digital re-releases are a pain in the ass as they keep updating the game and at one point they cut out Windows XP support entirely. There are plenty of games that used to work and then, puff, they just stop after a few patches, it makes me so angry. If you tried installing Half-Life from CDs/retail it should have worked though.

BTW I have a huge huge list of games that I have tried on Windows XP along the years. Almost 2 thousand games confirmed to run on XP noted in a notepad(just names, no links), not kidding. Retails and digitals. I think it would be interesting to share the list as I found myself before looking for something similar on the internet and found nothing. It may look a bit crude though.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    krauzer, May 2, 2022
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  9. RetorMajo

krauzer

Here are a few games that goes from Casual games to some more Serious games that are especially low-end and lots of fun:

Have in mind that this is based on the OP specifications, but some of these games require at least 2 GBs RAM and some offboard vga with at least pixel shader 2.0, although some will require at least pixel shader 3.0. You can tell that you're missing enough pixel shader support if the game is showing glitches or is running especially slow. Though they were all tested on a single core 3.0 GHz at the time they got installed, and even though you can't play all these games on highest quality, they were completely playable. Also, take into consideration that as we're talking about Windows XP, always give prerefence to installing the game from retail(CDs/DVDs) counterpart instead of digital(Steam/GOG) if any:

1 - Some games by Amanita Designs: Machinarium, Samorost 3, Botanicula, CHUCHEL (Adventure games. Samorost 3 will require any pixel shader 3.0 to run smooth or optionally a dual core 2.0+, whichever you choose, probably CHUCHEL too as it came after Samorost 3. Any Amanita game that came after CHUCHEL won't support Windows XP. It's curious that Samorost 2 digital release by Steam and GOG don't support Windows XP either)

2 - Serious Sam First Encounter and Serious Sam Second Encounter (1st Person Shooter)

3 - Jade Empire Special Edition (Action Adventure with RPG elements)

4 - DragonStone (amazing Casual/Marbles game)

5 - Dungelot Shattered Lands (Casual/Strategy game)

6 - Torchlight 1 & 2 (RPG / Torchlight 2 is incredibly well optimized and will run as good as Torchlight 1 even with 3.00 Ghz and Onboard VGA, but you'll need at least 2 GBs RAM)

7 - Grandia 2 (RPG / not the anniversary edition as it doesn't support Windows XP)

8 - White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (amazing korean Horror game but there is a patch to make it english. I'm talking about the classic game not remake, and honestly the classic is better than the remake)

9 - Dark Fall: Lights Out - Director's Cut, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, Dark Fall: The Journal (Horror/Adventure games)

10 - Scratches: Director's Cut (Horror/Adventure)

11 - Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (Adventure)

12 - Freelancer (gorgeous Space Combat Simulator with RPG elements)

13 - FATE + standalone expansions: FATE, FATE: The Cursed King, FATE: The Traitor Soul, FATE: Undiscovered Realms (RPG / gameplay very similar to Torchlight 1. Despite there are standalone expansions you can import your character to the other FATE games, so lots of content)

14 - Hobby Farm (awesome Casual game, you have to grow crops and take care of animals to deliver dairy products and vegetables, it's so much fun especially if you play it timed)

15 - Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (3rd Person Shooter. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will probably require some vga)

16 - Kingdom Rush, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, Kingdom Rush: Origins (Tower Defense. Kingdom Rush: Vengeance is not supported on Windows XP even though graphics are same from other games, which is a shame. There's an option to disable HD if the games are running slow)

17 - Max Payne and Max Payne 2 (3rd Person Shooter)

18 - The Operative: No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M's Way (1st Person Shooter)

19 - Obscure (3rd Person Horror Shooter. Obscure II doesn't require dual core but will probably require a better vga)

20 - Pony Island (I don't know how to classify this xD it's like one of those "breaking the 4th wall" kind of games with horror elements, really cool)

21 - Games with id Tech 4 Engine: Doom 3, Prey, Quake 4 (Horror/1st Person Shooter games. Doom 3: Resurrection will probably run too but it's more intensive so it may require better vga)

22 - Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time, Prince Of Persia 2: Warrior Within, Prince Of Persia 3: The Two Thrones (Adventure/Action. Prince Of Persia 3: The Two Thrones will require better vga, any pixel shader 3.0 should do)

23 - Project: Snowblind (1st Person Shooter)

24 - Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield Gold Edition (1st Person Shooter. Gold Edition includes all expansions)

25 - Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (Adventure)

26 - Red Faction and Red Faction II (1st Person Shooter)

27 - Death Road To Canada (Shooter with Rogue elements)

28 - Classic S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy (1st Person Shooter. Requires at least 2 GBs RAM and any vga with pixel shader 3.0 but they all run fine on 3.0 GHz)

29 - Scribblenauts Unlimited and Scribblenauts Unmasked (Adventure. Requires any vga with pixel shader 3.0 and probably 2 GBs RAM)

30 - Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition and Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut (RPG. Requires at least 2 GBs RAM)

31 - Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Adventure)

32 - Sky Crew Collector's Edition (fun and stressful Casual game xD)

33 - DISTRAINT 1 and 2 (Adventure. There are a few effects that may require better vga, I'm not sure, sorry, otherwise the game is really low-end on the matter of CPU)

34 - Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Adventure)

35 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Melee, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 (Adventure/Action)

36 - TH10.5 Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and TH12.3 Unthinkable Natural Law (Fighting/Touhou games, I love these two)

37 - The Legend Of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC, The Legend Of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC, The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky the 3rd (RPG, one of my absolute favorites)

38 - The Simpsons: Hit & Run (Adventure)

39 - Urtuk: The Desolation (RPG/Strategy. One of the few 2021/2022 games that are in development that run on Windows XP and has very low CPU requirements, however, like I said it's still in development so Windows XP support may be dropped any time)

40 - UNepic (RPG/Adventure with Rogue elements)

41 - Terraria (Adventure with Rogue elements. Needs at least 2 GBs RAM)

42 - Valdis Story: Abyssal City (RPG/Metroidvania. Needs at least 2 GBs RAM)

43 - Warcraft III: Reign Of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (RTS)

44 - Warhammer 40k, Warhammer 40k: Winter Assault [expansion], Warhammer 40k: Dark Crusade, Warhammer 40k: Soulstorm (RTS)

45 - Where Is My Heart (Adventure)

46 - Worms 3D, Worms 4: Mayhem, Worms: Reloaded Game Of The Year Edition, Worms Forts: Under Siege (Strategy)

47 - X-Men Legends II: Rise Of Apocalypse (RPG)

48 - Ys - The Oath In Felghana, Ys I & II Complete, Ys Origin, Ys VI: The Ark Of Napishtim (RPG/Adventure. I love the Ys series. Ys Seven should work on Windows XP as the chinese version of the game does run flawless on Windows XP, but they have cut the support in the english version as it's usual of Steam and GOG)

49 - Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal (Adventure. One of my favorites)

50 - Fahrenheit aka Indigo Prophecy (Adventure)

If you guys want 50 more let me know xD

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    krauzer, May 2, 2022
  10. RetorMajo

krauzer

If you like adventure, Freedom Planet 2 just came out and support Windows XP. And is super easy to run.

krauzer, Oct 11, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  11. RetorMajo

TMTGTR

This might be applicable otherwise still interesting:
    When I first set up the 'puter (XP SP 3 32bit) and using the Dell VGA I "ingeniously" [​IMG] = [​IMG] installed the last Intel for XP vid driver: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows XP_14.32.4.
    This resulted in random BSOD, not too often but enough to ruin my movie watching joy.
    I opened the Dell vid driver package for the Optiplex 745 and saw a few differences in file sizes/modifications. All older than the Intel package.

So I installed that driver and the BSOD did not happen again.
    Newer is not always better...[​IMG]

On all my other XP machines the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows XP_14.32.4. works without issue, but those computers are not vid intensive as I never watch anything 720p or 3D on them.

TMTGTR, Oct 12, 2022
  12. RetorMajo

Borg

Hah, thats interesting TMTGTR. Are you running modded WinXP?
    Or its pretty much stock? Usualy drivers (GFX or sound) are more picky about
    Win2003 (PAE to support more than 4GB RAM).

Borg, Oct 28, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  13. RetorMajo

tekkaman

I think maybe you can run Chantelise on that computer it's a directx 8 game. Maybe Gurumin since it's direct x 8 as well. I could run newer games on a pentium 4 extreme edition but I had an ati hd 4670 video card with it. Some games that were not intensive could run fine.

tekkaman, Nov 22, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  14. RetorMajo

xperceniol

Gosh, I miss and old game called (not sure) henchman for windows 2000 and it did work on XP, but I lost all my games several years ago as when I moved I lost my flash drives and they were never found and I was distraught.

Thank you guys for those recommendations. :)

xperceniol, Nov 23, 2022
  15. RetorMajo

tekkaman

Freedom Planet 2 is not beatable on XP. It has a compatibility bug that makes your character invisible in one of the last levels.

tekkaman, Dec 1, 2022
  16. RetorMajo

TMTGTR

Sorry Borg, I missed this reply. I did use XP SP4 unofficial (no .NET) for the O/S, 3GB Ram. I used the Dell Sound driver. The only driver mod was the updated intel. Thus the roll back to the older Dell.

TMTGTR, Dec 10, 2022
  17. RetorMajo

krauzer

Are you sure it ain't compatible and it's just not some glitch?

The game has been updated quite often, I haven't played until the end but now I'm motivated to try.

krauzer, Mar 4, 2023
  18. RetorMajo

tekkaman

Im sure. It actualy happens more than once. The fight before kalaw race and when you face the dragon the first time. I asked on discord but the people there all they said that its a miracle the game runs at all on xp I tested with the same hardware on win7 and it works fine there

tekkaman, Mar 7, 2023
  19. RetorMajo

cleverscreenname

Out of your list I've played Serious Sam and X-Men, but a different era: Children Of The Atom
    What else have you played?
    I was always addicted to the Heroes Of Might And Magic series but never moved on to 4+ because I didn't like the 2D to 3D jump.
    Also I played and won most of the Might And Magic series, except I chickened out on 9 after hearing it was so buggy that it might not be winnable. I didn't want to get invested into it and then get stuck.

cleverscreenname, Dec 1, 2023
Ask a Question