Errors with permissions reinstalling WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by febros, Jun 22, 2015.

1. febros

febros

Hello

I'm experiencing some problems running a fresh installation of WinXP in a computer that was designed for running it.

I've got an old IBM TP 2373 which had had original Windows XP (there's a stick underneath with the register key). The laptop had only Linux installed when it came to my hands. Since I don't own any original WinXP cd I downloaded an iso with the intention of registering it with the original key. I tested the copy in a virtualbox on my desktop and it worked out perfectly, although it didn't ask any register key.

I deleted all the old partitions of the laptop and used the whole hard disk for the new install. However, when running the install it skips the file dpsfnshr.exe. The installation goes on until the end and after rebooting it allows me to enter only as administrator. However, virtually every program I try to run (including regedit.exe) gives me back this message:

"Error: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item"

I've googled for hours but I didn't find anything matching this problem. Could somebody tell me what's the cause and what could I do for solving it?

Thanks in advance

febros, Jun 22, 2015
  2. febros

Elizabeth23

above from here

==========

I would be leery of the iso you downloaded unless you got it from technet.

also, some pc's that came with an oem install, have to have the same oem install unless you have a genuine microsoft copy of xp.

===========

I believe it is the iso that is causing the probs. Does the same thing happen in safe mode??

have you tried to create another user account in safe mode??

Elizabeth23, Jun 22, 2015
Ask a Question