error in parttioning

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by pscraja, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pscraja

pscraja

My system details are given below:

Operating System
    MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4 506
    Prescott 90nm Technology
    RAM
    2.0GB Single-Channel DDR @ 199MHz 3-3-3-8
    Motherboard
    Intel Corporation D101GGC (Socket 775)
    Graphics
    DELL S1909W @ 1366x768
    ATI video (Intel)
    Hard Drives
    80GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG SP0802N (IDE) 45 °C
    250GB Seagate ST3250310AS (SATA) 47 °C
    80GB Seagate ST380817AS 42 °C
    Optical Drives
    ASUS DRW-22B1S
    SONY DVD RW DW-G120A
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Problem I face:

I have two XP systems installed one in Disc 1 partition 'C' and another in Disk 0 in partition 'BOOTDRIVE'. Primarily I did this to switch over to the other in case of problems with one system.

Originally in Disk-0, the first partition - "bootdrive" was rendered unusable for quite some time due to some error in the boot sector. One of my friends who is a computer technician visited me and I was just presenting the problem of my not using the boot drive due to some error in the boot sector. While I was warning him of the danger of losing all the data in other partions by a misadventure, he just formatted that 'bootdrive' partition. After that he could get the unusable partition in explorer but the other 3 partitions named 'J' ,'K',and 'L' are clubbed together and it now shows as a free space in explorer. I have attached two snap shots of the disk management before and after the error.

Since partitions 'J' (utilities),'K'(MMedia) and 'L'(SI_RK_PSCR), not available for me, I renamed the 'bootdrive' partition and assigned drive letter J (utilities),and started putting into that the essential softwares for my day to day use. The partition 'L'(SI_RK_PSCR) is the partition where the our personal correspondences, accounts etc. were stored.

At the time of my installing, some of the software such as quick time, the message was to "uninstall the quicktime before installing the new version", I realized that though the partions were not visible, the system was having the record of its existence, I trust the partitions are still intact though not visible. I could not install atleast half a dozen software until I uninstalled them from the system using "revo uninstaller". Even if I am able to get the partition 'L' restored (where our backups and personal correspondences are stored), it is enough.

I would be very much grateful to the forum if some expert guides me to retrieve the partitions. I am afraid to give it to a local technicians since most of them are not reliable as the one who had dabbled on my system and created the problem and I would lose all the chances of retrieving the partitions.

pscraja

Attached Files:

pscraja, Jul 26, 2012
  2. pscraja

pscraja

error in partitioning.

This is a corrected version of the problem I had just posted. Since I was not able to edit after posting, I am reproducing the same after correction.

Problem I face:

I have two XP systems installed one in Disc 1 partition 'C' and another in Disk 0 in partition 'I' 'winxp-sp3'. Primarily I did this to switch over to the other in case of problems
    with one system.

Originally in Disk-0, the first partition - "bootdrive" was rendered unusable for quite some time due to some error in the boot sector. One of my friends who is a computer technician visited me and I was just presenting the problem of my not using the boot drive due to some error in the boot sector. While I was warning him of the danger of

losing all the data in other partions by a misadventure, he just formatted that 'bootdrive' partition. After that he could get the unusable partition in explorer but the other 3
    partitions named 'J' ,'K',and 'L' are clubbed together and it now shows as a free space in disk management. I have attached two snap shots of the disk management before and after the error.

Since partitions 'J' (utilities),'K'(MMedia) and 'L'(SI_RK_PSCR), not available for me, I renamed the 'bootdrive' partition and assigned drive letter J (utilities),and started putting into that the essential softwares for my day to day use. The partition 'L'(SI_RK_PSCR) is the partition where the our personal correspondences, accounts etc. were stored.

At the time of my installing, some of the software such as quick time, the message was to "uninstall the quicktime before installing the new version", I realized that though the partions were not visible, the system was having the recohttp://www.xpforums.com/images/editor/attach.gifrd of its existence, I trust the partitions are still intact though not visible. I could not install atleast half a dozen software until I uninstalled them from the system using "revo uninstaller". Even if I am able to get the partition 'L' where our backups and personal correspondences are restored, it is enough. A local technician says that the merged partitions 'J,K and L' shown as unused cannot be recovered. I wanted an expert's guidance if the partitions could be retrieved. I have dowbloaded EaseUS partition master free edition but I am afraid to experiment without an expert's guidance.

I would be very much grateful to the forum if some expert guides me to retrieve the partitions. I am afraid to give it to a local technicians since most of them are not reliable as the one who had dabbled on my system and created the problem and I would lose all the chances of retrieving the partitions.

pscraja

Attached Files:

pscraja, Jul 26, 2012
Ask a Question