Error code: 0x80070002

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Ruindr, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Ruindr

Ruindr

Hi,

I have an old Dell D630 with XP SP3 used for car diagnostics. It runs only completely offline (wireless turned off). The other day I ran the disk cleanup since space was running low on the C: partition (system disk). I deleted temp files and old system files (the normal options you get).

On next startup I now get the following error message:

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80070002.

Clicking OK just loops back to logging off and on again and same message returns. Keyboard and mouse works, but thats all. No task bar or icons. Only a blank desktop with the wallpaper in background.

I have tried all tips I could find on the topic online. Most relate to windows update, which I have turned off. Some points to the registry keys for cryptography, but I don't have them.

I don't have the XP installation disk and no restore points... But I can get it to boot in safe mode.

Here is a youtube clip on startup: https://youtu.be/MjhifmxA00g

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Ruindr, Jan 4, 2018
  2. Ruindr

Elizabeth23

if you can get to safe mode run chkdsk with the /r parameter, run at least twice until no errors are found and fixed

start, run, type in cmd , in cmd prompt type in chkdsk c: /r notice space between k and c, and between : and / press enter, you will be asked it you want to do this at next restart, type Y for yes, then press enter , then exit. Restart your computer, and depending on the size of the harddrive it will take awhile, if it boots normally after this you can see the results of the checkdisk in Event Viewer/ applications/ on right pane look under Winlogon.

has your system drive letter changed,orhas the default security provider changed?see below

http://www.itprotoday.com/managemen...ows-xp-error-code-0x80070002-license-checking

Elizabeth23, Jan 6, 2018
  3. Ruindr

Ruindr

Hi and thank you very much for the tips.

I ran chkdsk c: /r three times, but to no avail. The volume is clean, but the same error appears on startup, and XP desktop and icons does not appear. Attached is the event log after I again booted in safe mode, maybe that can shed some light.

There has been no change to drive letter or security provider. But I am uncertain what it means in the link you provided: "In each Provider key, edit the Image Path value to match the new drive letter.". The values for the two first providers (Gemplus and Infineon) are c:\windows\system32\gpkcsp.dll and c:\windows\system3\sccbase.dll. Similar for the rest. C: is the system drive, so assume this is correct?

I also ran a pre boot system assessment (F5) and all checked out fine on the hardware side of things.

Any other ideas?

Attached Files:

Ruindr, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Ruindr

Elizabeth23

then the values are correct, it would only be wrong if your OS was on some other drive than c:

I could not open the .evt extension, if you want to show me the event, I would need the source and the event id, or you can paste the entire dialog box here by doing the following:

open event viewer/ choose applications (or system) where the error is, double click on the error and you will get the dialog box, in the right hand side , third down, is an icon that looks like an open book, click on it and this copies it to notepad, then in the reply box of this forum, right click and choose paste, and then I will see the whole error.

==============

also do this one time, when you get to the screen that is giving that error, press ctrl + alt + del this should bring up task manager, in task manager highlight explorer.exe and choose end process, say yes to any questions, then in file of task manger choose new task and type in explorer.exe and click OK, just want to see if this will bypass the error.

Elizabeth23, Jan 6, 2018
  5. Ruindr

Ruindr

Strange you couldn't open the event log, it opens fine on my Win 10 pc.

The PC in question with XP is as I mentioned earlier standalone, so I just copied the text into the attached text documents and copied on a usb from the PC (in safe mode). This is the only error under Applications. Under system there is also an error,se attached.

ctrl+alt+del does not work, only way to boot/shut down is to hold down the power button for a while to shut down.

Thanks again for your support!

Attached Files:

Ruindr, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Ruindr

Elizabeth23

his error may also occur if the disk cleanup wizard is run with the "compress old files" option enabled. This can compress the files in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory, including the WPA.DBL file. Boot into safe mode and check the compression settings on that file. If set to compressed, change to uncompressed and then reboot.

replacing the OEMBIOS.BIN file from another working system, followed by a restart, solved the problem.

This error might occur if you have overly restrictive permissions set on the WINNT directory. Make sure that Administrators and System have "Full Control" permissions on WINNT, and make sure that the folder is not set to "Read Only". Also check the permissions on the root of "C:", and verify that Administrators and System accounts have "Full Control". This might also occur if the files "WPA.DBL" and/or "WPA.BAK" are marked as "Read Only". If they are, uncheck this setting in the property sheet(s) for the file(s).

As per Microsoft: "If you are running Windows XP SP1/SP2 or Windows Server 2003, the Windows Validation Assistant can scan your product key to help you determine whether your computer’s operating system is genuine". See the link to "Windows Validation Assistant" to scan the product key.

From a newsgroup post: "To solve this issue boot the system, start pressing F8, and when the menu appears, choose safe mode. In safe mode do the following: Go to start/run, and type
    regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    OK, then,
    regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
    and OK.

all the above come from HERE

check each one out

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!4603&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

my one drive link above, go to the folder and download the oem files, BUT, I am not sure they would work on your pc as mine is different, but still it is a dell, might not hurt, but do not replace your files, copy your files to desktop before you replace them, and are you updated to sp3 if you are 32bit and sp2 if you are 64bit, and if you never connected to the internet how did microsoft come to scan for a valid license?

above for applications error, below for system error:
    Here is what I did. I went into Device Mgr. Clicked on show hidden devices, scrolled down to Non Plug and Play Drivers and then right clicked on Parallel port Driver. I then clicked on Properties, and then clicked on the Driver Tab and then clicked disabled in the Start up type.

from here, did you change any pci card in your pc?

Elizabeth23, Jan 6, 2018
  7. Ruindr

Ruindr

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, none of the suggestions helped, but I think we're on to something:

As a recap, the problem started when I chose to run disk cleanup on c: I also checked the "Compress drive to save disk space" option. My bet is that this has caused my problem. But I have of course unchecked this option and double checked that the mentioned files do not have this flag now. But I suspect there is still something not right.

When I go into the disk cleanup, I can check/uncheck the different files (recycle bin, temporary files etc.) The 'Compress old files* box can be checked/unchecked, and the size displayed on the right side is getting larger and larger on each boot. As if it tries to calculate how much space can be freed ut if more files are compressed.

Is there a tool or way to ensure that compression is turned off globally, or another way to reverse this? In safe mode I guess a lot of files are in use and cannot be changed. Is it possible to boot only a command promt and run a command?

The link to the "Windows Validation Assistant" was not there, so I have not checked that. But I have 32 bit sp3.

Thanks again!

Ruindr, Jan 7, 2018
  8. Ruindr

Elizabeth23

Remove from disk cleanup tool list

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\CompressOldFiles

In the right hand pane, double click on the REG_SZ (default) variable to edit it.

A window pops up that will have a long string of characters in the Value Data field: B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678

Press DEL to remove (clear out) the value data field, then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

Reboot your computer for changes.

Run Disk Cleanup again and you wont see the compress old files anymore.

=====================
    https://support.microsoft.com/mk-mk...oduct-id-error-message-when-you-try-to-valida

go to above link and see about WPA

=====================

download ccleaner and use this instead of disk cleanup, you can download to a flash drive and carry over to the one that is not connected to the internet.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I use the free version and I also use an older version as I did not like the latest version, my version is 5.26.5937,

=============

you can tell files are compressed if they are in blue color.

if you need to replace a file that may be corrupted you can go HERE, and or tell me and I can upload the file to my onedrive.

Elizabeth23, Jan 7, 2018
  9. Ruindr

Ruindr

Cool! I have disabled the compressed file option, cleared the regisitry with cc cleaner. Then I went to check all settings mentioned previously again.

I'm still stuck with the same error message :-(

I also copied the wpa.dll under \system32 from onedrive, just to make sure this file is clean. It's often mentioned online.

Anything else I should try?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Ruindr, Jan 7, 2018
  10. Ruindr

Ruindr

Oh, just one more comment. When setting all files under the \WINNT folder to not read only, some files are not possible to change attribute to, permission denied. Not sure if that is relevant, but it's the only thing that has not been exactly as proposed.

Ruindr, Jan 7, 2018
  11. Ruindr

Elizabeth23

I forgot to mention to NOT use the registry cleaner, unless you check what might be deleted, this is so you will not inadvertently delete something that is needed for xp to function. If you are not sure, then search the entry online and then you will know if the issue is necessary or not. but since you are still good except for the original issue, then the cleaning did not hurt, :)

Windows NT, folder located in program files, Mine says read only and I do not have this issue. looking in the folder I could not see anything that would pertain to the issue.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/50356-windows-product-activation-wpa-for-windows-xp/4?print

read above and I believe that my wpa.dbl will not work on your pc , save a copy of your original wpa.dbl before trying.

==========================

the mercedes benz program that opens as your desktop is this an installed program and can you uninstall the program in safe mode and reinstall??

also while in safe mode, go to control panel, user accounts and choose to use the welcome screen, and do you only have one account??

for example I have the original admin account that I use only in safe mode and my user account.
    all the rest, guest, asp.net, etc are disabled.

the very last suggestion that I can give is if 1. reinstalling the mercedes benz progam does not work and 2. if using the welcome screen does not work, and 3. create a new user account from safe mode and try booting to that account, then 4. the very last method might be to reinstall xp.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Elizabeth23, Jan 7, 2018
  12. Ruindr

Ruindr

Changing user account didn't help either, so I guess I will need a full reinstallation incl the car sw. But anyways many thanks for your help and support. Much appreciated!

Ruindr, Jan 8, 2018
  13. Ruindr

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 8, 2018
Ask a Question