Dying Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by cornemuse, Apr 16, 2023.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

This computer has been giving me grief for a week or two. Hanging up, copying/moving files, large files, (10+ gig) after partial copying, computer freezes, only option is forced power off. Try try again! Attached to different computer as E or F (or whatever), makes that computer act up.
    Anyways, I determined it is the drive itself is dying. Spent most of yesterday copying wanted files to a new (relatively) hdd, "already has XP installed". (what I'm usin' right now!) Fine tuning this computer will prolly take weeks!

Old hdd is 120g wd from 2008 I have been using it for 5-6 years. I had bought a 'lot' of 5 or 6 hdds from ebay for five or six bucks each. Cant complain about its immenent demise!

First I copied Firefox & Mypal, both portable, and work perfectly, NO setup at all for either. everything remembered!
    I love these portable versions!

anywayz, all is well, "Knock on wood".

-c-

edit: new hdd is 320g wd, used as well!

cornemuse, Apr 16, 2023
  2. cornemuse

ClippyBeer

Glad you were able to get your system up and running again. As older IDE drives are more prone to failure it might be a good idea to make an image of the entire hard drive to another hard drive then put that drive in storage until your current one starts exhibiting signs of fault. The benefit of imaging is that it makes an exact copy of the hard drive, OS, components, software etc. so your won't have to re-install XP, merely swap out hard drives. Make regular backups of your data to either cloud, external drive or NAS. It will save you lots of time and headaches when the time comes to replace your hard drive.

I've seen a lot of IDE to SATA adapters on the web but haven't had the opportunity to test them. They're pretty cheap so maybe one day you can try it with a newer SATA drive and post your results.

ClippyBeer, Apr 18, 2023
  3. cornemuse

cornemuse

Hdd in this case is SATA. Last IDE I bought was 10-15 years ago, still have it! Still in its sealed WD packaging. 160g, there it sets, , ,
    I am having a hard time trying to setup Thunderbird on this new drive, old drive still works (T-bird), on the new one I keep getting "wrong password" or words to that effect.

-c-

cornemuse, Apr 18, 2023
Ask a Question