Dual monitors not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by xpuser321, Jul 27, 2019.

1. xpuser321

xpuser321

I have to two monitors in my Dell Dimension E521, both showing the same thing in Windows XP. Online it says to right click the desktop and press personalise, then go to settings. But when I go to settings, I have a different screen to who was recording the tutorial. I'm looking for a screen with a dropdown menu to enable 2 monitors, but instead I get just a slider to change the screen resolution. It's as if it doesn't know there is another monitor, yet both my screens are appearing in the device manager. Can someone please help me fix this issue?

xpuser321, Jul 27, 2019
  2. xpuser321

Computer semi-expert

Go to Personalization > Settings. There should be a blue box at the top with one numbered rectangle in it for each monitor on your system.

If you have a graphics card installed (as I suspect you do, since my E521 only has a single VGA output), you could do the following:
    1. Ensure that you have the drivers for your graphics card installed.
    2. Use your graphics card configuration program (if it has one) to fix your problem.

Computer semi-expert, Jul 28, 2019
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  3. xpuser321

xpuser321

I have the drivers installed.
    In the Personalization tab, it isn't showing two screens, but both monitors are on and displaying the same thing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    xpuser321, Jul 28, 2019
  4. xpuser321

Elizabeth23

I have an intel graphics driver, when I right click on my desktop , I can see the graphics properties on the right click context menu, and there is a tab for display devices, since I only have one monitor, there is a check on the single monitor box, but I have the option to click the box that shows 2 monitors, do you have this on your desktop right click menu?

Elizabeth23, Jul 29, 2019
    j896 likes this.
  5. xpuser321

Computer semi-expert

Can you give us some specs on your graphics card? I.e. brand, etc.

Computer semi-expert, Jul 29, 2019
  6. xpuser321

j896

If you do what Elizabeth23 said and get that box change it to extend desktop.. It must be set to clone display right now that why it shows the same on both monitors ..

j896, Jul 29, 2019
Ask a Question