Dual boot Xp not recognizing Mobo

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by maverick, Mar 22, 2017.

1. maverick

maverick

Hi to all, here's my 1st post on this forum & I do hope
    some kind soul can help me with this. Like many (mature) folk,
    I need Xp to run my vintage software (Cubase,GPO).
    However I recently updated my computer which after 12 (yes,twelve!)
    years faithful service needed to go to a better place.
    My 'new' machine runs on Win 7 (hey, the roads are pretty bad 'round here!).
    Here's the specs :-
    OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
    RAM 8,00 Go Dual-Channel DDR3
    MOBO ASUS P5P41T/USB3
    Graphics 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700
    HD 698GB SAMSUNG HD753LJ ATA Device (SATA)

After much time,effort & a lot of help from YouTube I succeeded in
    creating a dual boot & installing Xp sp2 32 bit (now updated to sp3) on a partition
    of the HD.Everything works fine , I have internet access via a USB wireless
    adaptor & have activated Xp.I can also access any file on either partition.
    Now comes the problem , Xp doesn't recognize either my Mobo or my
    graphics card.I've tried dozens (&dozens) of times to install the chipset drivers from
    the manufacturer's sites & even if they appear to be installing themselves
    it has all been to no avail - nothing changes.
    here's a screen shot of the Device Manager :
    Device Manager XP jpg.jpg

Please any help would be greatly appreciated as it's months now since
    I started trying to solve this problem & am running out of ideas (& time).
    Yours (nearly!) desperately ....

maverick, Mar 22, 2017
  2. maverick

priscus

Are you sure that you are attempting to install the CORRECT chipset drivers?

Also they need to be installed before installing other drivers in most instances.

priscus, Mar 22, 2017
  3. maverick

priscus

Also, as regards Dual Boot, it is usually recommended to install older OS first.

If you do so, then as long as you allocate additional OS correctly to a new partition, installing Windows 7 will automatically create dual boot with XP. Done in this manner, you would be finding your chipset drivers for XP from within XP itself, reducing the opportunities for error.

priscus, Mar 22, 2017
  4. maverick

maverick

Thanks for the advice priscus .Yes I did check the chipset drivers coresponded with the mobo model &
    the Win 7 came with the machine.As I understand it bothorders of OS installation work though the installation procedure is different.One of the tutorials I used was at sevenforums (can't link to it yet ,sorry)
    I'd rather not have to start from scratch i.e. reformat the HD & install Xp first just to see if it works.
    It looks increasingly like I'll need 'professional' help ....it would be the 1st time in 20 years mind!

maverick, Mar 23, 2017
  5. maverick

priscus

No, I don't think you will have to start again from scratch, as you seem to have boot and select OS sorted, which is what matters. Just that M/S, all the way back to DOS, have made their new products recognise earlier OS's, and give you the choice of replace or install along side of and choose how to boot. Which is what I meant by saying W7 will automatically dual with XP if the latter is a prior install.

Of course, installing the other way round is fine, just more work.

I don't think this will have any bearing on your problem of chipset not being recognised, unless for some reason the site is reading you as a Windows7 system, and sending you the drivers for W7 and not the XP drivers that you are seeking.

priscus, Mar 23, 2017
  6. maverick

maverick

Ok Priscus,sorry for the delay but here's the latest update:
    after some tech advice I tried changing the graphics card.
    I used the NVDIA GeForce PCX 5300 from my old machine in Xp...hey presto!
    It works a treat ! Then I tried in Win 7 and....nothing doing, I'm down to VGA mode.
    It seems the manufacturer stopped the drivers around Vista.
    I've had some help from their hardware forum but I can't get anything to work.
    Does this now mean I have to look for a 'vintage' (circa 2005?) graphics card on e-bay
    that is compatible with Xp and Win7?

maverick, Apr 25, 2017
  7. maverick

priscus

Yes, you will need XP drivers, and W7 drivers for the graphic card you employ (if you dual boot). You say you cannot get W7 drivers for the GF PCX 5300, and I assume likewise, the card which is working with W7 is not finding appropriate XP drivers. If so, I would suggest identify designation of the card which works with W7 in device manager, and try online search for XP drivers for it. If they are not to be found, then it seems a different card will be needed.

I use Nvidia Geforce 210, which has drivers from XP to W10, and also proprietary drivers for Linux.

It is quiet (Fanless - passive cooled). It has HDMI output, and good quality audio on the HDMI channel.

It probably would not suit most demanding of gamers, and it does take up the space of two cards,: heatsink overlaps adjacent connectors.

priscus, Apr 25, 2017
  8. maverick

priscus

9. maverick

maverick

Thanks Priscus, the original card with this machine is an AMD Radeon HD 5700.
    They do have XP compatible drivers according to the manufacturer's site
    but I can't get them installed.I don't need anything fancy as I only use
    music & recording software so your card seems just what I'm looking for
    if all else fails .

maverick, Apr 25, 2017
  10. maverick

priscus

Just checked my construction record, mine is the 'Asus G210' (Also shown in above link to EVGA G210)

As far as I can see, same spec, and similar price. Heatsink is a different shape.

Updates its drivers from Nvidia (GPU manuf.) so not beset with any issues of board manufacturer.

Is this the driver you have?

Manufacturer:ATI
    Hardware:ATI Radeon HD 5700
    Software type: Driver
    Version:13.9
    Released:16 Oct 2013
    System:Windows XP
    Description:Driver for ATI Radeon HD 5700
    Catalyst Control Center

Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes:
    Display Driver ver. 9.00.100.18
    Catalyst Control Center ver. 2013.0924.1040.17289
    Languages:
    Czech, Danish, German, Greek, US English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian,&..........

priscus, Apr 26, 2017
Ask a Question