Driver for Nvidia Geforce GT 710?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by trimis, Apr 8, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

trimis, Apr 8, 2020
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

Works in Desktop PC System Utilizing PCIe 2.0 x16 & PCIe x16 Technology

from the description in your link, this may be why it is working, there are vista drivers that can work on an xp system this part may be one of them

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

you can check above as it asks for system info to further search or visit the forum listed to the left of the screen

OR:

if it is working, let it go :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 8, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

I never installed anything from the drivers CD, so I'm guessing it is onboard the graphics card itself. Guess I'll wait then til a problem arises...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

trimis, Apr 9, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  4. trimis

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Apr 10, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  5. trimis

Mike_Walsh

@ trimis:-

I rather think Frank's right about this. Checking through the downloads page that Liz linked to, the newest IS from Jul 14, 2016, though I get a different driver version.....368.81.

Interesting you should have mentioned this one. I recently had to replace my elderly Compaq desktop tower back in January, and went for a modern HP Pavilion 'mini-tower', with the Pentium Gold G5400, and 8 GB of RAM. This is Coffee Lake architecture on the 14 nm ++ process, and has the Intel UHD 610 graphics 'on-die'.

The Intel graphics work well for what I use it for in 'Puppy' Linux, though what I didn't like was that it 'steals' VRAM from system RAM.....thus, anything graphics-intensive leaves you with less RAM for your applications. I wanted to stop this from happening, so decided to go for a similarly-specc'd, 'cooking' GPU, in order that it would at least have its own pool of 'dedicated' VRAM to work with, and would leave my 8 GB alone!

I went with the Asus GeForce GT710, with 2 GB of GDDR5 RAM.....also a 'passively' cooled item. I'd been using a GeForce 210 for a couple of weeks, which I'd bought some years previously; I could never use this in the old Compaq tower, due to its single PCI-e slot being damaged. The whine from its tiny little fan was driving me nuts, so I opted for an upgrade with fanless cooler instead.....and settled for this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GT710...T8P53K27EB7B&refRID=9CJ6FZDXT8P53K27EB7B&th=1

Identical number of CUDA cores (192) and very similar clock speeds, etc, to the onboard Intel one. Does exactly what I want from it; I don't game, but instead use it more for video rendering than anything else.....that, and graphic design work, along with a 1920x1080 HP 22w monitor.

Not a bad card for the price, and runs pretty cool, too; averages 40-45°C most of the time.....on a par with the CPU itself. I use the Nvidia drivers, the 64-bit version being the 440.64 one ATM. The 'in-kernel', 'nouveau' Nvidia-derived driver is OK, but does have a tendency to leave the odd artifact here & there on occasion.....which doesn't occur with the official one. You DO need to compile these for Linux, but using the .run file, Puppy makes it a very simple, 5-minute process which even a complete idiot could install correctly!

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Apr 19, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  6. trimis

trimis

Guess I'll wait til a problem arises to try drivers download. On a very unrelated matter (i.e. Linux) have you any idea why my Optiplex 960 would refuse to run LiveCDs of two versions of MX Linux (17.1 & 18.2), yet not hesitate with Linux Mint 18.3 LiveCD? Both versions of MX Linux worked fine in my previous Optiplex 755. Now it gets to:
    (....) Starting enhanced syslogd: rsylogd_
    stops for like ten minutes, throws up a red 'failed', and after about twenty more minutes there are lots of other 'failed' and errors.

trimis, Apr 19, 2020
  7. trimis

Mike_Walsh

@ trimis:-

I AM sorry I didn't respond to your query; I must have overlooked your reply.

I know this is over 6 months ago, but I've come across this same issue myself in recent months. A couple of our Puppy Linux members have posted about the same thing; seems it's all to do with the recently 'upgraded', 'enhanced', new 'super-duper' version of systemd the mainstream distros are all using.....of course, with most of the smaller 'projects' being based on the 'big boys', all this crap gets passed down as well.

Lennart Poettering has a LOT to answer for; apparently this new version is all tied-into needing more in the way of verified system keys from the UEFI before it'll 'play nice'. And they call this 'progress'.....!

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Nov 18, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  8. trimis

trimis

No problem. I guess I've had a long enough test drive of MX Linux to decide it's the one to install on my secondary (SSD) drive. For Live CD use I been using Linux Mint, Kodachi, and TAILS. Don't like Linux Mint, as I have to reset the computer clock after each use, but as the old adage goes 'Do what you can with what you got where you are at'.

I was under the impression that while MX Linux ships with systemd, it was off by default, and "boots with sysvinit":
    https://mxlinux.org/blog/about-mx-19-and-systemd/

Maybe I'm not understanding it, or LiveCD usage is different. According to this, Linux Mint 18.3 also uses systemd:
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=263890

....so not sure if that is the reason why MX Linux is no longer usable as LiveCD, unless I'm missing something. I'm hoping when I get my new OptiPlex 7010 online, the problem will vanish (i.e. a hardware issue). I am a big fan of using LiveCD mode, but having to reset the clock every time I use Linux Mint is a major irritation. Neither MX Linux, Kodachi nor TAILS screws with the clock. Even though I intend to install MX Linux, it would still be great to be able to run in in LiveCD mode, which supposedly leaves no trace behind.

trimis, Nov 26, 2020
  9. trimis

Fankin4

Is this driver available for free? I would like to give a try for this one.

Fankin4, Nov 30, 2020
  10. trimis

flavallee Guest

flavallee, Nov 30, 2020
    Fankin4 likes this.
  11. trimis

Fankin4

Is this source for free? Please let me know.

Fankin4, Dec 4, 2020
  12. trimis

flavallee Guest

All device drivers are free.
    If a site says you have to pay for it, go elsewhere.

flavallee, Dec 4, 2020
  13. trimis

Fankin4

Thanks for your helpful reply here. I'm so much excited to try these free drivers. In the meantime, I also found something while surfing on the Internet. I would like to try this source https://windowsmaximizer.com/driver/updates/ I found more than 2000+ drivers in one place. What do you think?

Fankin4, Dec 5, 2020
  14. trimis

ClippyBeer

I think you're spamming.

You post links to a website that has no drivers, every link there wants you to install some "Magic Driver Updater". More like "Instant Instant Malware/Browser Hi-jacker installer".

Nice try. I get drivers from the manufacturer's website(s), not dodgy third party garbage websites.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    ClippyBeer, Dec 5, 2020
Ask a Question