Driver for IE6 for Dell Latitude D830

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by cq1954, Sep 3, 2017.

1. cq1954

cq1954

I recently purchased a Dell D830 from a community college's surplus sale. The HD was wiped. I loaded Windows XP, SP2 that has IE6. I found some drivers on the Dell Support site but they still don't allow IE6 to run. Curiously, when I click on the IE icon, msn.com comes up but when I try to enter www.support.microsoft.com to get the IE8 upgrade, I get an error message saying the page cannot be displayed. My problem may be with XP and not with Dell. What drivers do I need to get the IE6 working properly and where would I get them?

cq1954, Sep 3, 2017
  2. cq1954

Elizabeth23

you should download ie8 and sp3 (unless your pc is 64bit) and the windows installer 4.5 before you go online, as you will need the above before you can get to microsoft updates website.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!834&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

above is my one drive, where you can download sp3, 4.5 installer and ie8 (plus updates if you choose to install individually) sp3 is 316mb, and ie8 is 16.1mb

you should also download an antivirus along with the database for OFFLINE installation before you bring your pc online, I am using 360 Total security essentials as it still supports xp and can be installed offline along with the virus database:

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

offline installer is under the download button and database is on the right in a green box, lengthy downloads. :)

ie8 once you have it installed should not be used for anything and you should install firefox 52ESR as that is the last browser that is supporting xp .(not sure for how much longer

after installing the 4.5 installer, sp3 and ie8, then use the start/all programs/ top of list click on windows updates and it will take you to the website and then it will have you update the pc to work with microsoft updates, and these updates will take you to 2014.

Elizabeth23, Sep 4, 2017
    cq1954 likes this.
  3. cq1954

cq1954

Thank you for your prompt reply. How should I download IE8, SP3 and Windows Installer since I can't get online through IE6? I continue to get the "The page cannot be displayed" message. Also, how can I tell if my pc is 64-bit?

cq1954, Sep 4, 2017
  4. cq1954

Elizabeth23

you can download from a working pc to a flash drive and carry the flash drive to the afflicted pc. however make sure you scan the drive first in case the working pc has an infection, usb's can install an infection very quickly if one is on it.

go to start/ right click on my computer/ choose properties/ on the general tab if you do not see 64 bit anywhere then you have a 32 bit system.

Elizabeth23, Sep 4, 2017
    cq1954 likes this.
  5. cq1954

cq1954

Thanks again. I must have a 32 bit system. I did save Windows Installer 4.5 from the Microsoft support site on a flash drive and was able to install it. I then saved KB976749 from the same site to upgrade to IE8 and saved it on my desktop and tried to install it. I got an error message that "The version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install". I did not try SP3 yet. Do I really need SP3?
    Also, I still have yellow ? marks next to Other Devices (Ethernet Controller, O2Micro CCID SC Reader, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible) if this sheds any light on my problem.
    Why would my current IE6 load www.msn.com (either through wireless or with modem cable), then connect to Bing when I enter a web address and then go to "The page cannot be displayed" when I try to go to that site?

cq1954, Sep 5, 2017
  6. cq1954

Elizabeth23

ie6 is outdated, even ie8 on most websites will give you a cannot be displayed error, which is why I suggested firefox, I only use ie8 for microsoft updates when I am reinstalling xp, and for a few other websites.

ie8 is ie8-windows xp-x86-ENU.exe and it is 16.1mb

KB976749 is an ie8 update and cannot be installed until ie8 is installed.

and yes you need sp3, microsoft updates will not work without sp3 being installed.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-d830/drivers

above is the dell website for drivers for all latitude d830 if you input your service tag number you will get drivers specific to your d830

you can follow instructions below if you are unsure what the driver is:

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

http://pcidatabase.com/

There you can either search for the vendor from the vendor ID or directly get information about the device along with the vendor name by searching with the device ID.

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufactureres website and get the driver.

Elizabeth23, Sep 5, 2017
    cq1954 likes this.
  7. cq1954

cq1954

THANKS so much for these instructions! So far, I was able to install the Windows Installer 4.5, the SP3 upgrade, the IE8 upgrade and all the available XP updates. The new IE8 still won't let me go to a site to install the Firefox 52 ESR so it looks like I will have to manually install it, too. Where do you suggest I go to download Firefox on my flash drive and install it on the Latitude. I haven't gone to the Dell site yet to install any additional drivers.

cq1954, Sep 6, 2017
  8. cq1954

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 6, 2017
  9. cq1954

cq1954

You have been incredibly helpful. I successfully installed Firefox and it works. I was able to install the missing video controller (nVidea Quadro). I wasn't able to find the drivers for the Ethernet Controller (devise 0x1673 - NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet from Broadcom) and the SM Bus Controller devise 0x283E from Intel). I didn't see any comparable drivers on the Dell site. How am I able to get an internet connection without the Ethernet Controller driver? Are these two drivers necessary?
    Also, do you have any advise where I can get a DVD Decoder? I am not able to play movie DVDs.

cq1954, Sep 7, 2017
  10. cq1954

Elizabeth23

http://jupiter.plymouth.edu/~tom/forms/dell driver install order.pdf

you need to read above and install drivers in the proper order

not sure why you can get internet, what is still marked with a yellow exclamation point in device manager, and also what is listed under network adapters??

note: not all dells have a dss (desktop) or an nss (laptop notebook etc) it is listed under system utilities, you need to input your service tag since the link I gave you is for generic latitude d830, if a system utility is listed for your latitude then you need to install it first then the chipset and then the rest, It will not hurt to reinstall any driver.

------------

xp can play dvd's but I am not up on what is needed, I do not use windows media player, I downloaded the klite codec pac that includes the MHC, media home classic player that you can use for dvd's

https://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

you can read about it above, I have a dvd player installed that came with my pc, and to test if it would play when I installed klite, it played. :)
    -----------------

any download in the dell drivers page might just be a firmware update, I am not up on these and have never installed a firmware update, as most of my research says not to install unless you have been instructed to by someone with more knowledge then myself.

you can google for more information if you are unsure and there is an update listed among the 12 files under removable storage at the dell drivers download link. within that page are also details links that can give a little more information about the update.
    --------------------

let me know about the device manager and the search page below might give you some help on playing dvd's without downloading the codec pack from klite.

Elizabeth23, Sep 7, 2017
  11. cq1954

cq1954

Thank you again for your continued assistance. DRIVERS: Do I uninstall the drivers in order to re-install them in the right order? INTERNET: I am connected through my wi-fi connection but would still like to be able to connect through the Ethernet. The yellow ? marks are next to Ethernet Connection, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). The Network Adapters (working) is showing as 1394 Net Adapter and Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-card. The modem is showing as Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem. I did use my service tag to see a list of available drivers. I'll look again for the system utility to see if I already installed it. DVD PLAYER: I did download the Media Classic Player from K-Lite and it is working. I didn't see the page you wanted me to search on playng the DVDs without downloading the codec pack.

cq1954, Sep 8, 2017
  12. cq1954

Elizabeth23

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...5...0j0i131k1j0i3k1j0i10k1j0i13k1.1SxqvKPBne8

sorry , I forgot to include the link

--------------------------

1394 net adapter is for a firewire connection:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000948.htm

----------------------
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R234854
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R205373

both above are video drivers one for intel the other is for nvidia so it depends what is brand is on your pc, both are compatible with a d830
    ------------------------
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=VG0PP

this should be your ethernet controller
    -----------------
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TRDW5

this is the smbus (chipset)
    ----------------------

you do not need to uninstall, just start with the nss/dss, reboot, then do the chipset, reboot, and then do the rest , you should download all your drivers and keep them on a cd or a flash drive for future use in case of a clean install.
    --------------

as for the modem driver, since I do not use a dial up I have never installed it on my pc, if it shows a yellow error in device manager you can install it or just go to properties and choose not to use this device.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=10NTR
    above is the driver for the modem

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=0J9D2
    above is some type of application that I see no use for, you can read up on it to see if you need it

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=Y3D5T
    above is some utility , and again you will have to research as to whether you want this installed

----------------
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=G1D30
    and lastly the above is a modem diagnostic tool, I would not think it was a really necessary item to install.

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2017
    cq1954 likes this.
  13. cq1954

cq1954

I found the NSS and chipset drivers and successfully installed them. I installed the Broadcom 57XX driver next but still see the yellow ? for Ethernet Connection in Other Devices. Do you have any other suggestions on what to install to get the Ethernet connection set up? I do have a wireless internet connection. Are they in conflict?

cq1954, Sep 8, 2017
  14. cq1954

Elizabeth23

could you give me the service tag number so I can input it and see what is listed under network for you specific pc?

going by Ethernet Controller (devise 0x1673 - NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet from Broadcom)

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=04VK6

after some searching found above that you can install, and you do not have to do the nss and chipset first , as long as you installed those and then all the other drivers, you can install this one and disregard the other one.

----------------------

when you have the yellow it is saying no driver, not a conflict however once you get one installed I would disable the network adapters that you are not using especially the 1394 unless you are using a firewire attachment

Elizabeth23, Sep 8, 2017
  15. cq1954

cq1954

The service tag number is GZJWMG1. I used the PCI database and it did say devise ID 0x1673 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet as the chip description (vendor 14E4 and devise 1673). I already installed the nss and chipset. When you say to disable the network adapters, do you mean to disable the wireless connection?

cq1954, Sep 8, 2017
  16. cq1954

Elizabeth23

You do not have to disable them, the wireless connection and the 1394 are 2 different connections, if you disable the wireless you will still have 1394 connection, my opinion only is that once you have your land line connected choose the one you will use the most and then go to Network Connections right click and choose disable for the ones you are not going to use, you can always right click and enable at any time.

---------------------
    I say that there is only a wireless driver under network with your service tag, am not sure why that is, but must be because of the firewire. Do try the driver from my last reply and let me know the results.

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2017
  17. cq1954

cq1954

I have installed the Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller Application R151334.exe twice and once more as a repair, same results - a yellow ?

cq1954, Sep 9, 2017
  18. cq1954

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 9, 2017
  19. cq1954

cq1954

Unfortunately, I still have the yellow ?. Under Ethernet Controller, Device Status, the message is "The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)" Also, listed under General tab: Device type: Other Devices / Manufacturer: Unknown / Location: PCI bus 9, device 0, function 0.

cq1954, Sep 9, 2017
  20. cq1954

Elizabeth23

and that ox1673 was what you got using the info on finding an unidentified driver??

0x1673 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

can you give me a version??

Elizabeth23, Sep 10, 2017
Ask a Question