Driver Donge

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by jimmytrader, Aug 24, 2018.

1. jimmytrader

jimmytrader

where i can download driver usb wifi donge for xp?cos i download from the official is not compatible...when i restart , the windows hang....

jimmytrader, Aug 24, 2018
  2. jimmytrader

Elizabeth23

what is make and model of dongle? I can search for an xp driver

Elizabeth23, Aug 24, 2018
  3. jimmytrader

jimmytrader

Mt7601 ralink

jimmytrader, Aug 24, 2018
  4. jimmytrader

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 24, 2018
  5. jimmytrader

jimmytrader

Oke..i'll try it..thank you...

jimmytrader, Aug 25, 2018
  6. jimmytrader

jimmytrader

all driver it's not working....give up...

7. jimmytrader

Elizabeth23

you would have to find something that is compatible with xp, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 25, 2018
  8. jimmytrader

jimmytrader

It difficult..donge mt7601 it said compatible with windows xp...do you have recomandation usb wifi?

9. jimmytrader

Elizabeth23

no , just use the wifi driver on my system. Maybe someone else might have the help you need. :)

10. jimmytrader

jimmytrader

Oke..thx for your help

WindowsXPforever likes this.
  11. jimmytrader

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, lately you have to be very careful with new devices as lots are not backward compatible with xp.

cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. jimmytrader

cmccaff1

Usually, when I do a fresh install of Windows XP and I'm having a hard time finding drivers for a certain device, I plug it in and then use a free program called SlimDrivers (which is up to 2.3.1.0; I think that's the final version since it hasn't been updated in a while) to try and locate the driver online. I've been using it for years (you can get it from MajorGeeks & FileHippo.com among other sites) and it has almost never given me any trouble. SlimDrivers came in handy for getting XP fully working on my HP Pavilion Slimline S5-1020 (the official HP site only has drivers for 64-bit Win7/8 for this model) and has served me well in quite a few other situations too over the past few years. Highly reliable, and to this day the only driver updater program I will ever even THINK about using.

I will note that SlimDrivers 2.3 requires an SSE-capable processor. 2.2 and earlier versions only require MMX.

cmccaff1, Sep 14, 2018
  13. jimmytrader

Mike_Walsh

If you want a compatible wifi dongle, that's very reasonably priced, and absolutely guaranteed to work with XP, have a look here at the TP-Link TL-WN725N 'nano' dongle.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/TL-WN725N.html

I used one of these for the best part of a year on an ancient Dell Inspiron 1100 lappie back in 2013, before I switched over to 'Puppy' Linux.....no built-in wireless adapter, y'see. Well, she is now 15 years old.....but still going strong!

Not sure if these are available in the US of A, but they're as cheap as chips this side of the Pond:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN725N-Mbps-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B008IFXQFU

150 MBps, single-band (only 2.4 GHz, I'm afraid); 'nano'-sized, thus small enough to leave permanently plugged in.....and extremely good reception even on a mediocre signal. I'll recommend these to anybody.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Sep 17, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. jimmytrader

cmccaff1

If it's available in the UK, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't available in the US. Going to be making a note of this...I get WiFi on my HP Compaq DC5000 SFF via a Netgear WN111v2 USB adapter; we had originally gotten it for my grandfather (God bless his soul, may he rest in peace) a few years back when my family and I attempted to get him online so he could reconnect with some of his old Korean War buddies. It didn't work out as well as we had hoped, but we stayed close until he passed away last year. Among a whole bunch of other things I inherited the laptop we'd gotten him (a Dell Latitude D510) and this Netgear adapter, which I didn't actually use for anything until I got another Latitude (a D830) hooked up to run Windows XP again. The wireless card inside that Latitude had died, and as a replacement I tried the Netgear adapter. It not only worked perfectly but also works with Win2000 too.

I'm hoping to acquire another WiFi adapter in the future, hopefully around Christmas or so; I usually budget $100 for Christmas, and if you're frugal enough/know where to look that can actually buy you some pretty cool stuff! If the price is right I'd like to try and get this dongle along with another PC if there's enough left over in the budget for 1. Thank you for the recommendation, Mike!

cmccaff1, Sep 17, 2018
  15. jimmytrader

ClippyBeer

If anyone is looking for a good USB WIFI that works with Windows XP and up I recommend the
    JJINGER W95168OA AC600.

Ebay seller I purchased it from in the US:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/JJINGER-W951...fi-Adapter/27033524598?iid=183230767043&rt=nc

Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/JJINGER-Adapter-Wireless-Network-10-4-10-12/dp/B077CJJ2JX

At under $10 USD it won't break the bank but it is dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz), and can connect to 802.11a,b,g,n,ac networks.

The PC I installed it on:
    Compaq Presario V2000 released 2004
    Intel Pentium M 715 @1.5 GHz
    512 MB ram DRR 133MHz
    Intel 82852 GME graphics

The unit has a built-in Intel Pro 2200BG Wireless adapter. It worked fine except when I was in the other side of the house about 100 ft away from my router and through a wall - the signal became very weak and unsuitable for streaming videos.

With this new adapter I get a very strong signal and much faster speed due to it connecting 802.11ac 5GHz from the same location. It uses Realtek RTL8139/810x chipset. (My router is dual-band AC1900).

You need to know your router's capabilities before investing in this or any WIFI adapter. Some of you may be using your cable company provided router - those are usually the most basic features and not much use to multiple users streaming HD/gaming. My provider wanted to charge me $15/month for theirs. I paid $200 a few years ago for my own router and it has already paid for itself. It may or may not be worth it for some of you - it depends on your needs but if your router is dual band and 802.11ac this USB is a worthwhile purchase. I have also installed it in Windows 7 x64 SP1 and 10 Pro x64 1903. It comes with a driver CD and supports MAC and even Linux! (Will have to give that a try).

ClippyBeer, Aug 20, 2019
  16. jimmytrader

Dyehard

Don´t be surprised to find yourself ¨stranded out in the cold¨ if you´re trying to make XP work with new hardware. XP has been officially in the trash can for 5 years. Older hardware (PCs, routers, modems, etc.) & peripherals (printers, cameras, scanners) still for the most part work fine. Like automobiles the design life of computer hardware and software is ~ 5 years or LESS.
    Cash registers are the only equipment computer hardware and software manufacturers are interested in keeping running on a perpetual basis.

Dyehard, Aug 20, 2019
  17. jimmytrader

ClippyBeer

I think most people here are well aware of XP's limitations and risks - this is a forum for XP users. There are plenty of good reasons for continuing with XP not the least of which the lower system/resource requirements compared with modern operating systems and ability to use with older hardware (I.E., the 15 year old laptop I tested it on). That said it certainly is prudent to inform forum users of any new hardware that is confirmed working with XP as the list is getting smaller and smaller as time goes by.

For the record I purchased this WIFI adapter for a Win 10 HTPC I have that didn't have proper driver support for the built-in 802.11g wifi.

Getting a new WIFI adapter won't magically speed up your internet - you need a good router for it to connect to. A good analogy would be taking your fancy 5G cell phone back to the year 2005 - you will get 2G if you're lucky because there weren't any 5G towers. - if you are paying your cable company $10/month or more to rent their router just buy your own. It will pay for itself quickly and you will have a better experience streaming HD. This is especially true when you have guests over for the holidays and everyone wants to connect to your WIFI and Skype/Facetime/Stream HD at the same time.

ClippyBeer, Aug 21, 2019
    Janice likes this.
Ask a Question