DOS Window program problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Leonard Gore, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Leonard Gore

Leonard Gore

Having dealt with a recent malware problem I am left with a residual irritating problem. I have a desktop icon which initiates a games program running in a DOS window. Since the malware problem when I use this icon I get an error message (using the ignore option the DOS program runs normally). I am running Windows XP pro.

The message reads "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. Virtual Device Driver Format in the registry is invalid"

I have not been able to identify the registry entry which is invalid or I would have backed up the registry and tried deleting that entry.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this irritating message?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Leonard Gore, Jun 18, 2015
  2. Leonard Gore

Rhino Cracker

Okay, I have the following entry in my registry:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]
    "VDD"=hex(7):00,00

Maybe you also have this entry and there is waste written inside?

Short googling resulted in http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251506-44-system-currentcontrolset-control-virtualdevicedrivers
    He's talking about re-installing NTVDM.exe in case of exactly the same error - in windows vista. And there are two links to guides how to repair it in vista and win 2000 - I think the last one could apply for you, too.

In general: to identify this registry entry, you could use ProcMon - it gives info about every action your pc performs, also registry read accesses.

Rhino Cracker, Jun 18, 2015
Ask a Question