Don't Have Windows XP Product Key -- What do I do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Alphys Hedge, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Alphys Hedge

Alphys Hedge

I bought a Windows XP Disc off of eBay, because every other place either didn't have it or sold it for a really expensive amount. I'm to the point in the installation where it asks me for the product key. ...The CD didn't come with a product key anywhere, I only have the installation disc. I'm completely stumped. Is there any way I can continue the installation?

I'm installing this for a friend, so if I need to use another computer for the solution I do have a laptop (even though I doubt it would be the case I ask that the solution not involve having to install it or modify anything on my personal laptop). Any help at all is appreciated, and I can give more info if needed.

Alphys Hedge, Oct 25, 2016
  2. Alphys Hedge

Alphys Hedge

I should also say that I already checked the CD files; I do not have "UNATTEND.TXT".

Alphys Hedge, Oct 25, 2016
  3. Alphys Hedge

Elizabeth23

the case the disc came in has the product key on the case.

of get your money back from ebay :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 25, 2016
  4. Alphys Hedge

Joe511

You can either buy another product key or if you want you could crack it. I do not condone cracking or any type of illegal stuff to get your Windows activated.

Joe511, Nov 16, 2016
  5. Alphys Hedge

tienkhoanguyen

If I were in your situation I would be upset. However online is a rip off and I've found Microsoft to be very helpful so far. So if you have the disc you could call their activation line and tell them that you got it online and send in the disc if they would accept. I think some people get reimbursed for being a squeeler. Like they tell someone and they get reimbursed for a kind of kickbacks for stopping piracy of their products. However it is up to each case because there may be many scams out and I think Microsoft takes piracy high priority.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 14, 2017
  6. Alphys Hedge

tienkhoanguyen

If you really did buy it in all honest manners then you could use a crack like someone mentioned. It is easy to find and I used to use it however I rather activate officially. The online activation wasn't working at the time so I just use a crack.

7. Alphys Hedge

tienkhoanguyen

Be careful of viruses. A few cracks are there to promo their programming group showing off their hacking skills. However be careful of the others who are out to get your info etc. Like key logging etc.

8. Alphys Hedge

tienkhoanguyen

But try the activation line first. I used my laptop key that I transferred over to the new laptop since the old laptop got trashed and someone answered on the activation line. Just talk to them and explain the situation.

Ask a Question