Doesn't Windows Update give us old updates?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by RoccoJones, May 29, 2015.

1. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

I just got ahold of an old WinXPProSP3 laptop, and I've enabled Windows Updates, but it doesn't run, and whenever I try to go to the web site w/IE, it just tells me "cannot connect" crap or something. How do I get all the updates that were available when support was discontinued?
    I also have an old IE6.0. I can't seem to get that updated either.

RoccoJones, May 29, 2015
  2. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

can you get online at all??

go to start/right click on My computer/ choose properties, does it say sp3??

does it say 64bit system?? ( if you do not see 64 bit anywhere then you have a 32bit)

did you just reinstall??

what is the make, model, and model number of your pc??

Elizabeth23, May 29, 2015
  3. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

yes I can get online (although getting the drivers that would allow me to do that was considerably difficult) Yes I have sp3, I just installed it. it is a 32-bit system. I did not do a reinstall. it is an LG Xnote LM40a.

RoccoJones, May 29, 2015
  4. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

if you did not do a reinstall, then why were you having to install new drivers??

do you know that the chipset driver must be installed first before any other driver.?

http://www.lg.com/ae/support/software-manuals

went to above site and could not find your product, please do the following:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.
    You can edit out any personal information.

==========

once sp3 has been installed, then you should go to start/allprograms/ top of the list you will see windows updates, click on this and it will take you to the website, and once there you will be asked to install the active x required for updates to work and also some other items need to be installed also, and then you will be asked to update to microsoft updates, follow all prompts and if you get an error, then please tell me the exact error.

Elizabeth23, May 30, 2015
  5. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

All I know is when I started it, several devices went unrecognized, including (but not limited to) the phone modem, the wi-fi adapter and the VGA board (and it still doesn't recognize it!)

I didn't.

Unfortunately, every time I do that, I just get "The page cannot be displayed".

However, all of a sudden, the automatic update server has suddenly come alive. By the time you read this, the point might be moot.

RoccoJones, May 30, 2015
  6. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

Yup, and that's what happened. When it finally got around to it, Windows Update fixed all of the above except my video problem.
    If you still feel like helping, this is what it's come down to: I downloaded the ATi driver that I found on-line (I'd give you the URL, but I'm not allowed to yet. I Googled "xnote lm40" and took the first hit I got.) But when I installed it, the driver quite saying my OS or hardware is not compatible. I asked ATi for help, but they passed the buck to LG. LG hasn't responded yet. The board is: RV280/M9+ [Mobility Radeon 9200 AGP] (rev 01)

RoccoJones, May 30, 2015
  7. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

http://www.drivermax.com/driver/upd...TI-Technologies-Inc./ATI-MOBILITY-RADEON-9200

above has 3 listings for graphic ATI Driver (Ver 6.14.10.6483)

it is the third one down that you want.

I got the above from this search page, I do not generally use these driver places but since I cannot get the driver from the manufacturers website?? :)

=========

at LG have you gone to the below contact page to ask them why your product is not listed for support??

https://www.lg.com/us/support/message-customer-support

==========

some specs on your pc, which is where I got the graphic driver version from.

Elizabeth23, May 30, 2015
  8. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

Why don't you usually trust them?
    I tried that, but it couldn't get the right driver either. Funny thing, even though I downloaded the XP 6.14.10.6483 version, the installation app says it's 8.681.0.0000.
    It did list 16 other drivers that it says are out-of-date. Do you think I should update those? I'm an if-it-ain't-broke kinda guy.

Since they didn't even deign to answer my question about the video board, I don't think I'll waste bandwidth on asking something even more embarrassing.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    RoccoJones, May 30, 2015
  9. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

I do not use the driver sites since lots of them are full of ads and I am not sure about the drivers, I generally go directly to the manufacture (pc) as lots of the drivers are oem coded. for their pc's.

JoJo, one of the contributors here likes slim utilities:
    '
    https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

WATCH OUT, that you click on the download from slim utilities and not from download.com !! :)

let it scan your pc and find the drivers for you.

Elizabeth23, May 31, 2015
  10. RoccoJones

Jody Thornton

Try installing Windows Update Agent version 3.0. Sometimes after an SP3 install, it still requires installation. Then a BITS and WGA update get sent, and you may need to accept an updated ActiveX item for Windows/Microsoft Update. Then the rest of the updates flow in.

Jody Thornton, May 31, 2015
  11. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

I tried the slimware, and it also wanted to install several updates, none of which are the video driver.. Amazingly, it tried to install a couple of drivers which then said they were incompatible.
    According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104#checkversion the latest version of WUA is 7.6.7600.256 which I have. I don't know what BITS is, but I saw WGA being installed. I don't remember activeX.
    Interstingly, in the device manager, the VGA controller is no longer under the big 3D question mark, but is recognized as a RADEON 9200, but still has the yellow oval w/the exclamation mark.

RoccoJones, May 31, 2015
  12. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

I have the same update agent version. The latest active x is installed if you are able to use microsoft updates.

Bits is Background Intellegent Transfer Service, you can see it in services.

I do not list a VGA controller in my device manager,

https://www.google.com/#q=windows+xp+vga+controller+driver+download+radeon+9200

at above search page, (for my system it is intel) for yours go to the third listed on page :

http://www.givemefile.net/drivers/video/ati/radeon_9200.html

choose xp 5.4 download and see if that clears the exclamation point, also what is the error code when you click on properties of this driver??

Elizabeth23, May 31, 2015
  13. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

Mine isn't under "VGA controller" either. It's now under "display adapter".
    That was a strange experience. It said it would download an exe, but downloaded a zip. In the zip was InstallerDU-2.4.1.3369.exe, which didn't seem to do anything about drivers (and when I ran it, froze part way through anyway) and ati_radeon_9200_37311.exe which failed a similar sort of way as all the other ATI driver installers do: it says that my hardware or software is incompatible.
    The status code is 10.

RoccoJones, Jun 2, 2015
  14. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

BTW, SlimDrivers has shown itself to be unreliable. When it installed the sound driver, it caused a BSOD which killed my sound, even though there was no indication of anything wrong w/any sound device in the Device Manager. It was only when I took the sound driver from http://www.notebook-driver.com/lg/lg-lm40a-lm50a-notebook-windows-drivers/ that I got it working again. Now that I have installed it, it wants to put its own choice of sound driver in again.
    Also, could my problem be w/the BIOS? I see that in the above URL there's a BIOS update offered for "Ver F.18", but when I restart and look in my BIOS, the version number I see doesn't look remotely like "Ver F.18".

RoccoJones, Jun 2, 2015
  15. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

Well, now you can see why I do not like the driver sites, but slim drivers was pretty reliable at one time.

updating the bios: must have pdf reader installed to read, foxit reader is what I have and it is free.

http://tim.id.au/laptops/lg/lm40 lm50.pdf

please see page 20 on how to update bios on your pc, and you might read through the manual for your pc also, (above link)

when you download a zip package, you will have to extract first, and then look for a setup file or a .exe file. from within the extracted files.

Have to go will look at the error code when I return.

Elizabeth23, Jun 2, 2015
  16. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

I followed those (phoned in) instructions on page 20, and used Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. Fortunately it didn't hard-brick my system (always a fear w/updates involving a USB drive). I opted against updating the DMI, not knowing what that is. It made a nicer splash screen, but the prescribed ATI drivers aren't installing any easier and that yellow exclamation point isn't going away.
    I can help you w/the code: "Device cannot start". The only thing the troubleshooting recommends is uninstalling and installing again.

RoccoJones, Jun 3, 2015
  17. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2015
  18. RoccoJones

RoccoJones

My chipset is Intel, btw.
    I reran the install, but it took a suspiciously short time, like it decided it didn't need to do anything. I didn't see any error in the event viewer. Of course, the video driver still failed.

My instincts tell me that video boards don't fail in this way.

That's error code 12--a resource conflict.

RoccoJones, Jun 3, 2015
  19. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

yes, I know it said code 12, I had meant for you to try to install the drivers manually in safe mode to see if this helped.

http://www.intel.com/support/siu.htm

go to above and accept the install and see if they can find the drivers necessary for your pc, remember the reference number if you need to contact intel, and you can copy/paste the report here for me to see.

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2015
  20. RoccoJones

Elizabeth23

reply 2:

above from here

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2015
Ask a Question