dll problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by david123., Apr 10, 2015.

1. david123.

david123.

Hi, first problem in ten years. I am getting systemmenu.dll error message on start up. How do you find out which dll is causing this message????? David

david123., Apr 10, 2015
  2. david123.

Elizabeth23

above from here, might not be the same program but the instructions are good as far as running autoruns.

=======

autoruns:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2015
  3. david123.

david123.

dll error

Thank you Elizabeth23, sounds good. Not familiar with the adware you mention, but will give it a try. David

david123., Apr 10, 2015
  4. david123.

Elizabeth23

okay, like I said those might not be your adwares but it could be a program like them. :)

let me know how it goes with autoruns,

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2015
  5. david123.

david123.

dll error

Elizabeth 23, loaded Autorun, tried LOGON no success. Tried EVERYTHING no success. Tried Show all dll, got list but could not copy to send to you. Is there another way, such as what is MS official dll`s???? David

david123., Apr 11, 2015
  6. david123.

Elizabeth23

you can also go to device manager, go to view , select show hidden drivers

then you can look for drivers from a program that has been uninstalled.

==========

in Autoruns, are there any listings that you do not know what they are??

you can right click on this listing and choose to search online, this will tell you what the item is and if you need it.

if you decide you do not need it, you can uncheck the box, OR you can go to the registry and delete the listing. (always back up registry before changes.)

============

one other tip, you could run a system restore to a point to where this issue did not occur.

==========

have you recently uninstalled a program?? if so you can search the registry using the find function and delete the entries dealing with the particular program.

----------

can you state what the message is saying exactly??

----------

do you have ccleaner installed?? there is a section for startup that will tell you what is starting up and you can disable what is not necessary, (msconfig will do this also but ccleaner is easier:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

------------

what do you mean by No Success when you tried logon and Everything in autoruns???

==========

there are over 700 official .dll's,

----------------

how did you try to copy/paste??'

imapihelper -Service I just copied that from a notepad on my desktop, using right click copy and right click paste???

-------------

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Apr 11, 2015
  7. david123.

david123.

Elizabeth23, thank you for your patience. This is the first time I have delved in this deep, and it is a bit overwhelming. I will try some of your suggestions, the cccleaner looks promising. You obviously have a good understanding of the system, but this experience only comes with time. Bear with me. David

david123., Apr 11, 2015
  8. david123.

Elizabeth23

okay will check back.

Elizabeth23, Apr 11, 2015
  9. david123.

david123.

dll error

Hi Elizabeth23, On start up I get three boxes all with the same messsge "error loading c:\programme\common\system\systemmenu.dll The specified module could not be found.
    AS YOU SUGGESTED
    Loaded autorun
    Clicked logon ( no sysmenu.dll)
    Clicked everything ( no common file\system)
    I TRIED
    Known dll ( 20 all microsoft)
    Registry. ( 30 but could not find source)
    YES I have just prior to this problem deleted some programs, because of ads popping up. Did not recognize the names.
    I run AVG.
    This morning on my desktop, which this site was full of adds, I could not log on. No problem or ads on my Kindle.
    Tried Restore, no success.
    So when you delete. On install/delete a programme you do not recognise, how do you make sure it is a complete uninstall????? David

david123., Apr 12, 2015
  10. david123.

Elizabeth23

You can use a program like Revo Uninstaller, but you have to be careful to check all the registry entries to be sure they refer to just the program you are uninstalling.

===========

what I like to do is use find in regedit and delete the entries myself. and I do a search through my pc with all hidden files unhidded for the program also. Lots of programs leave remnants, and some leave a driver behind, you would go to device driver and look at the hidden drivers to see these.

--------------

when you say no success on restore, do you mean you could not run a system restore or that when you restored the problem did not go away???

------------

run the following to insure that you are clean:

make sure you get the free one and check each page before clicking next to insure that you do not install any added software:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes Free (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/

SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.
    ============

you might want to check with AVG to see if it is still supporting xp, I personally would not use AVG, but it is up to you.

I know that 360 Internet security by Qihoo is still supporting xp.

post back with results of cleaning.

===========

in autoruns look for any program that you do not know what it is, and if you still cannot paste here then type the entry in so I can check it for you.

=====

You can also look in event viewer to see if there are any errors about this issue.

Elizabeth23, Apr 12, 2015
  11. david123.

david123.

dll error

Elizabeth23, I wrongly thought forums were helpfull . On my desktop I can not logon, and there is an advertising voice over which I can not switch off. I will there for stick to Ubuntu, and Andriod.
    I conclude that you are a part of this con. Disappointed David

david123., Apr 12, 2015
  12. david123.

Elizabeth23

As you wish.

Elizabeth23, Apr 12, 2015
Ask a Question