Disk Boot Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Lewis091, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Lewis091

Lewis091

I have recently been given a Packard Bell Windows xp Desktop CPU, First things first I switched the system on and recived an error messege after trying too boot saying:

Disk Boot Failure,'' BOOT FROM CD PRESS ENTER '' something like this ?

Could anyone be able to help, Note I have not got any CDROM's or anything just the CPU/

Much Appreicated,

Lewis091

Lewis091, Oct 27, 2014
  2. Lewis091

Elizabeth23

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1191-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter

above link has list of possible causes and solutions for this error.

If the recovery console is not installed as a boot option then you are going to have to burn a copy of Hiren's boot cd, burn to a usb flash drive if you do not have a cdrom.,
    and run checkdisk with the /r parameter through hiren's, and/or burn the recovery console and run fixboot and/or fixmbr. see my next post for instructions.

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2014
  3. Lewis091

Elizabeth23

Courtesy of Jose Ibarra:
    Anywho, to make a Hiren's boot CD, do this

I am going to recommend you use Hiren's boot CD (it will also go on a USB drive).

This is good for you because it has many more tools on it that on the XP Recovery Console CD, does not care about your Administrator passwords and you will not have to futz around in your BIOS if any afflicted system has SATA drives - Hiren's can deal with that.

You will have a whole bunch of cool tools that you don't have in the XP Recovery Console... a registry editor, password resetter, and a desktop that looks like Windows XP so you will feel comfortable maneuvering.

You can also easily copy your personal data (documents, images, music.) to an external drive.

From a working system, first download Hiren's Boot CD from here (it is a substantial download but worth it):

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ (look near the bottom of the page, do not click on any ads).
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/burning/
    Instructions

Unzip the Hiren's to some folder where you can find it. There is a Hiren's.BootCD..iso in there that you are going to need next.

Hiren's has instructions to make a bootable USB that you can use, but it requires you to first burn the .iso to a CD and some other steps, so I suggest another way...

Download RUFUS 1.20 from here (read some stuff on the page so you can know more about it):

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

I will caution you to be careful that you don't accidentally format any of your hard drives - be sure your USB stick is in and know what the drive letter is! This part always makes me a little nervous, so be careful.

Launch RUFUS and all the defaults should be okay, for the Device, choose your USB drive letter, Quick format, FAT32, label it if you want to and in the Format options box, click the little icon that looks like a CD and a window will open. Navigate that dialogue to point to the folder that contains the Hiren's.BootCD.15.iso that you unzipped earlier and the box should change to say ISO image (RUFUS understands the Hiren's ISO file).

Double check you have the right Device selected in the top (NOT you HDD) Click Start, acknowledge the warning and let it finish (it will take a little while) as it copies the files. The Hiren's ISO is also good size.

When RUFUS is done, it will say 'DONE' in the bottom.

Put the USB stick in the afflicted machine and reset/reboot and press whatever key you need to press to get to a boot menu where you can select the USB as the first boot device (that is F11 for me). If you don't see a boot menu choice, you will have to adjust your BIOS to boot from the USB first instead of the HDD.

When the Hiren's menu comes up, choose the Mini XP Mode and it will start loading (slowly from a USB drive) and eventually you should see a Windowsy looking desktop. You should recognize that part and feel comfortable, but it is not your desktop - it is the Hiren's desktop!

Remember: You did not boot on your hard disk - you booted into the Hiren's desktop

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk
    Hiren’s for flash drive
    ================

NOTE: you will need to use an older version of rufus from here from 2012 I have found that the older versions work better with xp.

=================

Here's how to make a bootable xp recovery console cd
    Courtesy of JoseIbarra
    Since many folks do not have a genuine bootable XP installation CD - either because they never got one with their store bought system, they lost it, broke it, scratched it, the dog ate it, etc. it usually is a dead end to suggest using the XP installation CD (since most people don't have one).

Suggesting it usually just results in wasted email cycles so it make sense to assume that nobody has one. nobody has any friends with one either and contacting your hardware vendor to send you one is also going to be a waste of time.
    Instead of suggesting things that will only work some of the time for some people sometimes maybe, I would rather suggest things that are usually going to work all the time for all folks.
    This will let you make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD (no XP media required).
    If you have no bootable XP media (or are not sure what you have) create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come with a store bought system.

You can make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso

Download the ISO file from my OneDrive (everybody has a OneDrive for sharing files):

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=EC673DF6F8DFEE84&id=EC673DF6F8DFEE84!109&authkey=!AEMs5lwt9Todokc

When you see the files available for download, you may not see the file extension (.exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.), but when you download them they will have the correct extension.

When you download the file (especially if you use Internet Explorer), when you get a chance to save the file, your browser may not save the file with an extension (like .exe, .dll, .cpl, .sys, .zip, etc.) so you will have to manually add the proper extension to the file when you download the file before you save it.

You can download the file with no extension and then rename the file to add the proper extension. You don't want to try to use a file called xp _rec_con when the file name really needs to be called xp_rec_con.iso (if the downloaded file has no extension you will have to change the name of the file to add the proper extension to get it to work.

Use a new CD and this free and easy program to burn your ISO file and create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Like many third party programs you might install, the ImgBurn installation defaults to installing things you probably don't want installed on your system in the form of extra Internet browser toolbars or may make other adjustments to your browser. You don't want that so you have to pay attention during the installation.

When clicking through the installation screens be sure to pay attention to the screens and always choose a Custom install and UNcheck the following (or any other things like it):

UNcheck:

Install the AVG toolbar and set AVG Secure Search as my default search provider
    Set AVG Secure Search as my homepage and newly opened tabs

Choose custom installation again and UNcheck the following:

Uncheck:
    Install QuickShare

Here are some instructions for ImgBurn:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on a computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder. This is the same as the C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

The Recovery Console allows basic file commands like: copy, rename, replace, delete, cd, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

For a list of Recovery Console commands, enter help at the prompt or read about the XP Recovery Console here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ocs/en-us/recovery_console_cmds.mspx?mfr=true

A good idea before starting things is to first verify the integrity of your file system using the chkdsk command.

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the afflicted drive.

Running chkdsk is fine even if it doesn't find any problems. It will not hurt anything to run it.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find.

It may take a long time for chkdsk to complete or it may appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, chkdsk is doing something. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress. It may even appear to go backwards sometimes.

You should run chkdsk /r again until it finds no errors to correct.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the CD will not be present.

====

you can use the recovery console iso to create a bootable flash, just follow instructions froom the hiren's instructions.

Elizabeth23, Oct 28, 2014
Ask a Question