Disabling network functionality in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by regid, Dec 5, 2014.

1. regid

regid

Hello, Everyone

I have a strange one. I need to configure a windows XP environment not to have network capabilities. I have been trying to figure out how to disable that functionality through the registry and gpedit and have been unable to do so.

• The virtual machine cannot be added to a domain.
    • I cannot disable the network connectivity through the VM host software because it will stop one from adjusting other VM settings that may be necessary (such as comm ports).
    • I have been unable to "ImposeNetworkConnectionRestrictions" as described onw the Windowsnetworking site.
    • I cannot take away administrative rights from the XP user (Yeah, I know.)

This is causing me great frustration. Please realized that I am very constrained in my options.

Any help would be appreciated.

regid, Dec 5, 2014
  2. regid

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Dec 5, 2014
  3. regid

Jojo

Not really clear what you mean exactly.

Networking is usually applied to the services which manage a group of computers, hard wired together in an office environment, sharing files.

To turn that off, the chart below includes the services you need to turn off.

[​IMG]

Networking is also incorrectly applied to accessing the net. To turn that off, unplug your modem!

Jojo, Dec 10, 2014
  4. regid

tmontney

Granted this is an old thread, but I have a solution for anyone coming across the question of disabling network functionality. For a solution concerning the original post, I have absolutely no idea what you're asking.

I have an application but due to my post count, I can't post the link. If you go to Overclockdotnet's forum and search for "Free Windows XP Network Utility", that's the solution to your problem. It's an application I wrote, and I have a reasonably established reputation there (to show it's not malicious). The application allows you to quickly switch between an enabled and disabled network state (including disabling network services).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    tmontney, Feb 12, 2015
  5. regid

Elizabeth23

@tmontney

I downloaded and tested your utility, but my antivirus flagged it for disrupting network, I think it is easier to just unplug my ethernet cable from the back of the pc

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2015
  6. regid

tmontney

My application is new, so I doubt most AVs will like it. It modifies the registry as well. Again, you still have a considerable amount of services running for no reason. Look at the image JoJo posted. A majority of what's running in the background is devoted to networking. I found on a fresh install disabling everything network related can reduce memory usage from 30 to 50%.

tmontney, Feb 12, 2015
  7. regid

Elizabeth23

I really do not have a problem with memory, I generally have several tabs open in firefox, some office docs, sometimes a search box, and a couple of notepads, hardly ever do I get less than 99 on system idle, even with all of the above open.

Panda free antivirus was a cpu hog so I uninstalled it and went back to 360 Internet security, by Qihoo.

My services are set to black vipers safe settings for xpsp3 x86

Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2015
  8. regid

tmontney

I guess my application is more for the enthusiasts who want as little running as possible. In my mind, if it doesn't need to be running/serves no purpose, it shouldn't be running.

tmontney, Feb 13, 2015
Ask a Question