DirectX Based Game Problem in XP? Try this fix first!

Discussion in 'Windows XP Games' started by eatup, Mar 26, 2017.

1. eatup

eatup

Ran into a couple of problems with some DirectX based games on XP. For example:

1. Unreal Tournament '99 gamespeed too fast

2. Sacrifice (Shiny Entertainment) foreground sound 10x louder than background sound/music

CAUSE: Certain versions of DirectX are problematic to certain games. It doesn't help that when you install some games, they'll try to force install a version of DirectX (often older) over the version you already have on your computer.

SOLUTION: Reinstall the correct version of DirectX to get the games working again as originally intended. The game problems listed above could be solved by reinstalling DirectX Feb 2007 Redist AND THEN DirectX Jun 2010 Redist (the very last one made for XP) in that order. But first I had to trick the computer into thinking I have an older version of DirectX before those two would even install. I do this by opening regedit and modifying version 4.09.x.x to 4.08.x.x in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX.

After reinstalling the proper DirectX components, UT '99 no longer experiences hyper speedups, and foreground/background sounds are equi-volume in Shiny's Sacrifice...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    eatup, Mar 26, 2017
Ask a Question