Desktop unreadable in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by machinist60, Aug 25, 2016.

1. machinist60

machinist60

Silly me, I have accidentally set the desktop font size so small it is unreadable and hence can't change it. Anyone know how to recover this mess blind from the keyboard?
    Thanks, John.

machinist60, Aug 25, 2016
  2. machinist60

Elizabeth23

press F8 at start up and click on enable vga mode, see if this helps

============

http://www.pcworld.com/article/115065/article.html

read above on using the magnifier and place a shortcut to the magnifier on your desktop to use in safe mode, in case the first solution does not work.

Elizabeth23, Aug 26, 2016
  3. machinist60

machinist60

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I have been googling and putzing around for about a day now and have made little progress.
    VBA mode did not help.
    Typing magnifier into the run box or as a CMD line fails.
    The boot.ini file has safe mode set. The desk top displays about one inch square icons with text 1/32" high, unreadable.
    CMD control.cpl brings up the display properties. The tabs can be navigated. For some buttons and widows right click help gives overwritten but readable text. I have searched for screen pictures online but have not come up with the crucial ones leading to the custom dpi setting that is in error. I know what the custom dpi window looks like but can't get to it.
    Perhaps another angle of attack. Is it possible to restore the offending data from the original win xp installation disk using CMD somehow? Do you know the file name and path?
    John.

machinist60, Aug 27, 2016
  4. machinist60

Elizabeth23

you could reinstall the entire os, but I do not know how to just install safe mode and the magnifier is not from CMD line, if you had read the article it is from the accessories/accessibility. If you put the shortcut on your desktop then when you are in safe mode you can use it to read the tiny print and then read the display so you can change it.

Elizabeth23, Aug 27, 2016
Ask a Question