Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by COUCHPOTATO1, Feb 2, 2014.

1. COUCHPOTATO1

COUCHPOTATO1

Recently scanned documents and when finished scanning and locating docs to a file i closed down my PC. On re starting I descoverd that the final document scanned was now on my desktop wallpaper, i have tried REG-EDIT,HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software,Microsoft,Windows,Current Version,Policies,System and apparently the last part of the jigsaw is to look for Wallpaper key on left hand side of screen, then Right Click and delete this entry then close the Registry Editor. Everything works fine till i get to Wallpaper key, which never appears, ANY CLUES AS TO HOW I GET MY OLD WALLPAPER BACK???

Cheers

John

COUCHPOTATO1, Feb 2, 2014
  2. COUCHPOTATO1

Elizabeth23

I have xp pro and my current wallpaper is listed under

HKCU/ControlPanel/Desktop

I do not know where you got the key you listed.

but if you go to Display, in the control panel, the only items that are used for desktop background will be listed in Desktop tab, you can scroll through the listings there, but the only way to delete any of these that come from other than Windows basic listings, is to go to My Pictures folder, any picture in the My pictures folder will be listed in the background listing.

What I do with my pictures is create a new folder and move all my pictures into that folder which I have named Pixs, what I leave in the My pictures folder are the images I use for my desktop background.

So look in your my pictures folder is your document in there?

move it back to your documents folder.

go to display and choose the background you want.

If this is not something you did yourself accidentally, I would run some scans to look for a virus or malware

What is your current antivirus??

do the following:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

Elizabeth23, Feb 3, 2014
Ask a Question